Android private beta (old)

I just installed the beta today - thanks for the invite! The sign-in and initial sync worked fine, but I’m having trouble downloading anything. This may be similar to @volcanicglass’s issue? The circle “loading” icon spins to about the 11 o’clock position, no matter the file size, and then stays there. I tried again and it added the file to the sync list, but the sync never finishes. Permissions were granted OK on first download request.

I’ve just uninstalled and re-installed and I get the same problem. I’m running Android 7.0. It almost looks like it’s waiting to sync one more fire than requested. If I cancel all syncs and try to download a file I get a “Sync 2 files with xx kb” message but when I accept, I still see “Syncing files. 1 remaining”.

Otherwise the basics looks good - though I don’t like the “one page at a time” scrolling - I’m used to having free scroll. Indeed once articles have been loaded once they can be freely scrolled.

@msbentley - that’s the exact same issue I was having. I’m not sure how/why it suddenly started working and allowing me to download/open articles but I’m glad it resolved itself!

Hi Stefan, Thank you for the invitation to take part in the private beta! I have a Samsung Galaxy Note running Android 4.1.2. When I try to run the app, it begins to start up, briefly showing a blank white screen, but then the screen goes black and after 30 seconds or so, the phone reboots. I imagine this is just because of the old Android version: if so, no problem, but I thought I would let you know in case it was important. I have set the installation location to be the (internal) SD card; I will try moving the app to ‘device storage’.

@stefan OK - that made things worse! Now the phone boots to the lock screen, and either crashes and reboots if I touch the screen, or reboots on its own if I do not. At the moment, I cannot get into the phone. I have removed the battery and replaced it, but no change.

OK, a reboot was needed - now attachments download OK! More feedback after I’ve had a chance to play!

1 Like

@stefan Phone is working again after a safe mode boot and uninstall. Beware of early versions of Android though: the app did not show as “incompatible with your device”.

After adding an annotation you need to close the annotation toolbar, to make sure no type of annotation is selected, then just click on any annotation you’ve made to select it. A new toolbar will appear, and the delete option is in the top right corner, like shown in the image below.

UPDATE: A new version of the android app is available in the Play Store. It’s recommended that everyone updates, as this version contains several improvements and fixes.

Also, be sure to let us know what you think of the app so far and any issues you find.

OK, I’ve played with the beta for a few days, and here is my first feedback:

• Downloading PDFs required a reboot
  • In the item view, a few things would benefit from being clickable:
    • DOI (open dx.doi.org page)
    • tags (return to folder list (all items?) showing tagged items)
    • author - should search for papers matching author
  • It would be nice to have an option to choose an alternative PDF browser to open files with
    • i.e. just trigger the open PDF action if the internal PDF reader is disabled
  • Syncing attachments
    • an option to restrict auto-sync to network types would be very useful
      • e.g. only sync on wifi
  • Configurable storage location
    • the ability to configure where the app stores PDFs/attachments would be great
      • e.g. SD card rather than internal storage
  • Auto-sync of PDFs
    • I would really like the option to batch-download attachments/PDFs
      per folder?
    • an alternative would be to provide the option to point to local storage
      • e.g. I currently sync my starred papers anyway to my device and could leverage that to have all my attachments sync’d/available

More comments as I come across things! Overall the app is looking good, and the built-in PDF reader/annotator seems to handle all of the files I have tested well.

1 Like

Replying to your note to see if I can get bumped up (I signed up for beta some time ago).

Can’t wait to test it out!

I filled out the form a while ago but haven’t heard anything. I’d love to participate in the beta.

Can this app work in hide mode like a https://mobilerecorder24.com/ or not?

Hey! Did fill out the application, too but didn’t hear back, so I’m writing here. I’d love to give some feedback and play around :slight_smile:

Hi there. I would be grateful if you could add me to the beta programme. I use an Android tablet as my mobile writing device and mobile paperpile would be an enormously useful enhancement :slight_smile:

Same boat as others here. Added myself to the beta program, but haven’t heard back. Paperpile has been a huge improvement over my previous solutions for organizing my scientific papers, and I’d love to help the app in any way I can!

I have been using the app for a while and have a couple of thoughts:

• It seems that opening a .pdf brings up to the last location, which is a nice feature, is this coming to the web version any time soon?
  • It would be nice to be able to navigate between multiple papers. I think the best way to do this would be to have multiple windows. This would allow searching and opening new papers from the new app, while also jumping between currently open papers.
  • I would like different “page turning” options, i.e. standard .pdf scrolling, and single touch on right/left side (as is typical in e-readers).

Generally it works pretty well. I agree with many of the suggested improvements in other earlier replies as well. Thanks for the great tool!

Can we get more people added to the Android beta? Paperpile really needs mobile support.

Hi, I would like to be bumped up for the private beta as soon as a slot is available. I indicated in the survey that all features are important to me as I would like to be able to write my papers everywhere on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 (inspiration usually comes during the most random times), but the one feature I really need Right Now™ is being able to read PDFs directly on mobile without having to go through the pain of syncing every single paper for offline viewing through Google Drive.

Over the last couple of weeks I have gotten “error syncing your library” when trying to sync. The only way I have been able to fix this is uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

I am not sure why it is happening as there are no details given. Anybody else having this problem? I am using the Nvidia shield tablet.

Hi, I’ve been waiting patiently for a while and would like to be bumped up in the list to be added to the beta test. Fall semester is about to begin and I will be using Paperpile more soon. For what it’s worth, while I do have a Samsung Note my primary device is a Google Pixel C tablet. Thanks for working on this. I’m really looking forward to using it.