BibTex export all papers?

Is there a way to export a BibTex file for all papers in the library? Next to each folder and tag you can export a bibtex file from the drop down menu. But for “all papers” there is no drop down menu. If you select all papers, you can use the cite button, but this is slow because it generates the text in the modal dialog rather than giving you a link to download the file.

Also, this has been brought up elsewhere, but a BibTex file that lives in Google Drive that automatically stays up to date with your entire library would be awesome.

1 Like

Ah, I see it. Settings gear button in top right --> Export --> BibTex button. Having export functionality in the preferences window was unintuitive. Consider adding a drop down next to “All papers” that has an “export” submenu, to match the interface present on all the folders. This would be easier to find and more accessible if you’re exporting often.

We have been thinking about where to place the export function for quite a while now.

But creating a new menu/button in the main view is not an option. If we start doing that Paperpile would quickly look like EndNote and nobody wants that…

So we are still thinking but your experience is clearly one more datapoint showing we need to do something about it.

I’d also like to see this option of having " BibTex file that lives in Google Drive that automatically stays up to date with your entire library". I understand a colleague of mine would too…

in this way, you don’t need to export your bibtex file every time you want to make a reference…

I’d be happy even knowing that it was only done periodically (1/day), if there were a button somewhere to just “do the right thing” and export.

2 Likes