Date range for multi-volume work

I often have to cite multi-volume series, that were published over several years. For instance, today, I tried to make a Paperpile entry for this item:

Denifle, Heinrich, Émile Chatelain, Charles Samaran, and Émile van Moé, eds. Chartularium Universitatis Parisiensis. Vol. 4. 4 vols. Paris: Fratres Delalain, 1889-1897.

Paperpile marked 1889-1897 as an invalid format for a date string. And when I generated a citation for the entry, I got:

Denifle, Heinrich, Émile Chatelain, Charles Samaran, and Émile van Moé, eds. Chartularium Universitatis Parisiensis. Vol. 4. 4 vols. Paris: Fratres Delalain, n.d.

I suppose I could find the actual date of publication of each individual volume and enter it separately (and here I am indeed referencing the fourth, and last volume, which I thus know was published in 1897). But sometimes I’m going to want to refer to a series as a whole. And in a very large series (the Patrologia latina, say), which runs to well over a hundred volumes, I will obviously want to give a publication range for the series as a whole and then cite individual volumes, regardless of their particular publication date (if it’s even recorded).

We are currently working on implementing this feature and it should go live with one of the next releases of Paperpile.

@Robert_Goulding

That’s now possible with the latest release of Paperpile. It’s now possible to store arbitrary dates using braces: {2014-2015}, {13th century}.