Disappearing Bibliography

I am just about finished writing my dissertation, all of which has been composed in a google doc and for which I have used the paperpile add on to format my sources. Overall I absolutely love the add on, it is so easy to use its wonderful. However, I find it to be a bit quirky. It often tells me that it cannot connect to the document and often times seems to add a duplicate bibliography at the end of the document (even though it already has one!).

However, now I am in real trouble as my entire bibliography has disappeared! The in text citations sitll exist and the links are still there but I cant seem to get the bibliography to come back.

Please help! There must be a simple fix that im just somehow missing. I am days away from submitting my dissertation and I have lost my entire bibliography. Is there a trick to fix it?

In principle, you can delete your bibliography at any time and re-create it by clicking “Update citations and bibliography”.

Can you delete all remnants of an earlier bibliography and try again?

If that does not work, there might be a problem with creating the bibliography, in which case we would need more information what error you get.

The same thing happened to me. I feel like I must have deleted something by mistake. I have tried to reformat citations several times, but it reformats the in-text citations without putting a bibliography at the end of the doc

The first bibliography entry in the document, along with its paragraph, is replaced with an updated bibliography when formatting. It can sometimes happen that parts of the bibliography get copied into paragraphs in the document, in which case your bibliography may appear there.

If this is the case, use the version history in Google Docs to restore your paragraph, then make sure it doesn’t contain any bibliography elements. These can be identified by placing the cursor in them: