Full text search in PDFs

Any update on the issue ?

1 Like

See related topic with a tip for working around this issue [TIP] Work around lack of offline support, limited capabilities of mobile app, lack of PDF search

1 Like

Thank you Andrey, although of course it would be great to have all those directly in Ppp.

1 Like

+1 for this feature… any progress?

3 Likes

Really frustrating to see no updates on this functionality for nearly 4 years …

3 Likes

Full-text PDF search from within paperpile, please!

2 Likes

This is a key feature, in my opinion, that is missing. Please add this!

2 Likes

Absolutely crucial. In my experience this is the main limitation with Paperpile, which otherwise is a great piece of software.

I just bought an annual subscription, trusting that this critical feature will be added soon. Please don’t let us down!

4 Likes

We are all suckers for continuing to pay for software that doesn’t get updated. The word plug i was promised in 2016. The joke is on us.

2 Likes

This will never happen

2 Likes

I’ve written some words on the progress of things in another thread. Improved search of all kind (your references, full-text of PDFs and external databases) is part of our long term strategy. Also Jirka posted a quick intro, he is our new database and backend engineer working on search infrastructure.

http://forum.paperpile.com/t/is-paperpile-development-dead/2897/19

http://forum.paperpile.com/t/is-paperpile-development-dead/2897/24

3 Likes

I would like to see Full text search too

2 Likes

I have been using pdf managers for some years. I was just about to start with Paperpile, when I found this thread. Full text searching is the most basic function for a researcher. While you have many other sexy projects underway, all pale in importance to basic text searching. I encourage you to do some focus groups with folks who use these products to better match your development priorities with the needs of your potential customers.

6 Likes

@Edward_Richards exactly my thoughts from Sept 2014!..

I don’t think it’s fair to say that the software isn’t being updated. That said, it’s true that there are some functionalities that have been for a long time in the pipeline. Full text search would be my top one pick, but so it was the IOS version, and they are delivering it. I’m happy with Paperpile and do not plan to switch.

2 Likes

I second that, and I do not plan to switch either (btw, I am not aware of any alternatives for managing references in Google Docs). But at the same time, similar to what I said 2-3 years ago, it is still very unclear how Paperpile defines priorities for their development.

1 Like

Yes, there’s stuff that’s been on the making for a long time. Still, I’ve tried many other alternatives (Mendely, Zotero, ReadCube, Papers, Sente, Bibdesk, EndNote) and I think that Paperpile is the best option.

1 Like

It is great to hear that advanced search is on the roadmap, as search and a word plug-in are still my top two remaining features.

Would any of the staff be able to provide any kind of updates on this? @jirka

Any word on the development schedule of full text search? Along with multi-document annotation mapping and export this is one of the key features that’s really holding Paperpile back.

Napier, please, do not abuse the flagging feature.

We do take the feedback into account, which is why we have the Mobile App beta and Word Plugin beta running. We are also updating our infrastructure behind the scenes to make sure we can support all the features we would like to implement. When there is any news to share in regards to the fulltext search, we will do so here on the forums.

1 Like