Guide: Export a Google Document to Word/EndNote

Here’s a short walkthrough on how to export a Google Document with Paperpile citations to EndNote and Word.

Paperpile uses unique citation codes for the in-text citations and saves the code as field “Label” in the corresponding RIS file with the reference data. So step (7) is crucial to tell EndNote how to match the citations in the Word file with the references in the RIS file.

(1) Open “Export menu” in the add-on sidebar.
(2) Export the document with “EndNote citation codes”
(3) Export the references as “RIS”
(4) Download the new copy of the document as “Microsoft Word (.docx)”

(5) In EndNote choose ‘Import > File’
(6) Import the RIS file, use the options shown

(7) In the EndNote preferences click “Use field instead of record number” and choose label

(8) Open the .docx file in Word and click “Update citations and Bibliography”
(9) EndNote should format the citations and bibliography correctly. Change back the option in (7)

DISCLAIMER: We don’t encourage you to do that. We have added his functionality for the use case when you (for whatever reason) absolutely need to have a final manuscript prepared in Word and EndNote.

NOTE: The reverse process (converting EndNote citations to Paperpile format) can be achieved with our MS Word plugin. Steps are outlined on this guide.

4 Likes

I followed these instructions exactly but the reference list is not updating in Word. It doesn’t seem to be linking to Endnote. Help!

Can you insert and format other references from your EndNote library? Please make sure that that works first.

Stefan,

I have tried this, and it works well. Unfortunately, I have to use and note on a daily basis. Having exported my paper Paperphile library to Endnote, I would like to continue to use Paperphile, and export one or two references at a time to the RIS format. I am not sure if it is possible to implement this. Unfortunately, the Bibtex filters that are available in endnote are really quite poor and frustrating to use.

Kind regards,

Richard Piper.

Any workarounds for those of us who cannot use the sidebar? My institution (the University of Southern California) does not allow the sidebar add-on due to its broad permissions.
Thanks!

Sorry there is no workaround. This functionality is technically not possible without these permissions (if so Paperpile would not ask for them)

Hi, I believe the Paperpile sidebar (in Google Docs) is no longer in the current build?

Is there any other way to export the Google Doc to Word/EndNote?

Also trying to export a Google Document to Word/EndNote. Cant get the sidebar to work. Can someone please confirm that the sidebar is no longer working and that this means we can no longer export to word/endnote? Thanks

The sidebar is still working - unless your domain permissions disallow such Google Docs add-ons. Contact us at support@paperpile.com and we will try to help you get it opened.

Relatedly, there is currently a Google bug whereby the sidebar does not load in documents with linked drawings in them.

The images in this guide doesn’t show up for me, could you fix this? Also, I tried to make the conversion according to this guide but I couldn’t get it to work. mac / ms word 2017 15.34 / endnote X8
Thank you for your help!

1 Like

Update: this method is currently not working for reasons we have not yet determined. We are unable to prioritize an inquiry/fix for now but will leave it in the queue to review when possible.

Is there any update on this? I don’t seem to get the side bar export option.

Does this still work? I got it to work in the past, but not sure if buggy now. REALLY important for me academically.

The export on our end (first 4 steps) does work; not sure about the steps in EndNote. Have you made any attempts?

The team is currently working on making this feature available on our MS Word plugin so I think it won’t be long before we have some news about that.

This is very annoying…

Nov 2022 – So my editor would like my chapter with “Endnote” citations, is this method above still possible?

I don’t see the sidebar. Does that still exist in 2022? How do I get it to load?

@LukasEcho The method above should still be possible. You can download the sidebar add-on here. Once you have installed it, go to Extensions > Paperpile > Manage Citations .

To open the Export menu, click on the Gear icon, then Export. Then follow steps 2-9. If you run into problems, don’t hesitate to reach out in this thread, or contact support via chat or support@paperpile.com.

Is there a visual tutorial (and/or video), one can send to collaborators in a team where some members use GoogleDocs/PaperPile and others MS Word/Endnote? This is to make the bidirectional exchange between the two ecosystems with a minimum number of steps as seamless as possible. I could make my own instructions, but having something official that gets regularly updated by the experts without missing any of the latest tricks would be really helpful. The above in this thread addresses the first half what I am asking for and other threads the other half. The problem is that the acceptance of this approach will be much higher if there were a single and official tutorial page (not a discussion thread) that addresses this comprehensively.

Thanks for the feedback, @Thomas_Girke! A more comprehensive help center is in the works; we do plan to include tutorials and other didactic material so this topic will definitely make it there. There already is a guide to convert citations from EndNote to Paperpile format in Word, perhaps you’ve come across it?

In the meantime, we made two straightforward recordings of the conversion process for you – one for each direction.

1. from Paperpile to EndNote
  2. from EndNote to Paperpile

Hope this is helpful for you and the team. I don’t have a concrete timeline to share for the new help center but there should be some news by summer. Pease don’t hesitate to reach out again here or via chat/email (support@paperpile.com).

This is very helpful. Thanks a lot!

1 Like