How to add the page number to a citation?

Hello,

I am having a very tough time with citations in google docs. Do to the standard I am require to write in, I must add the citation information as a footnote and any further reference to the same author with ibid or idem, etc. Also, I must add the number of the page where that information can be found in the text. I tried to add the number manually, once the citation was properly introduced by the magic of paperpile, but when I hit “format citation” button in google docs, everything goes wonky.

Please help!!!

To add footnote citations, first add a footnote, then add a citation once the caret is in the footnote.

To add a page number, or make other modifications, click the blue bubble in the add/edit citation dialog.

To use Ibid for subsequent references use a citation style which uses Ibid. This is often not obvious so you may have to test a couple of styles.

Thanks for the info, but I would like some further clarification. I am using a style that allows for ibid, etc. (spanish legal)

I am not sure if I am following your instructions properly. When you say “click the blue bubble in the add/edit citation dialog.”, do you mean the citation in the footnote in blue between brackets? or, is it an option in a menu? As I understood, I clicked on the citation (in blue between brackets) and I was shown the citation box where I could add another paper, eliminate the current citation, update the citation or cancel. I was not able to see an option to add a the page number I am referencing.

Also, once I hit the “format citation” button, the blue text becomes the text I need in the foot note (that is good). If I try to add manually extra text at the end of this newly formatted, the citation goes wonky next time I press “format citation”.

Example:

Footnotes with the new citation:
130 (Social Security Tribunal of Canada 2016)
131 (Social Security Tribunal of Canada 2016)

Footnotes after “format citation”:
130 Social Security Tribunal of Canada, Social Security Tribunal of Canada Achievements Report 2013-2016, Social Security Tribunal of Canada, 2016

131 ibid

(So far, so good)

Then I add the numbers at the end.

130 Social Security Tribunal of Canada, Social Security Tribunal of Canada Achievements Report 2013-2016, Social Security Tribunal of Canada, 2016, p. 29
131 ibid, p.27

Once I hit format citation again this is the result result:

130 Social Security Tribunal of Canada, Social Security Tribunal of Canada Achievements Report 2013-2016, Social Security Tribunal of Canada, 2016, p. 29 ibid, p.27
131 Social Security Tribunal of Canada,

This error has occurred several times, but not every time.

Is there anyway to avoid this formatting mayhem from happening at all? Am I doing something wrong when writing the page number after the citation text? should I write extra text in the footnote under some sort of parameter such as between " " or { }, etc?

Please let me know what I can do to avoid this citation madness.

Cheers

I am referring to this blue bubble:
supress%20author

From your formatting mayhem the most nearby explanation is that you have somehow copied parts of the reference in note 131 to note 130, this would explain why you see the ibid in both lines. The easiest way to fix this would be to delete everything from the first note except the first few characters, then format the citations again.

Wow!!!

Awesome, thank you for the info. It worked really well.

Cheers,

David

1 Like

How exactly do I get paperpile to format my citations with a page number for an in-text citation?

Like this…

Quantum physics is cool. (1, p. 45)

1. Wilczek F. Quantum field theory. Rev Mod Phys. 1999 Mar 1;71(2):S85–95.
1 Like

Did you find an answer to this? I need to do the same