Hyphenated surnames

Hi there,

I’m not sure if this applies to all citation styles, but at least for some I cannot achieve the correct display for hyphenated surnames. For example, I get:

Janabi H Al-, Keeley T, Mitchell P, Coast J. Can capabilities be self-reported? A think aloud study. Soc Sci Med. Elsevier Ltd; 2013;87: 116–122. doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2013.03.035

When I want:

Al-Janabi H, Keeley T, Mitchell P, Coast J. Can capabilities be self-reported? A think aloud study. Soc Sci Med. Elsevier Ltd; 2013;87: 116–122. doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2013.03.035

Is there anyway I can fix this without having to manually make changes within my document?

Thanks,
Chris

This is an interesting Problem… I don’t have it with hyphenated names and there is something specific about the name that doesn’t work. As a test, I made the last name Ali-Janabi, H and it worked fine. El-Janabi, H also works fine. Al-Janaba reverts to the same problem, so there is something with the Al- that creates an issue. Actually, it didn’t like Al- anything in the last name.

1 Like

Thanks for helping debugging this case. The problem seems to lie somewhere deep down in citeproc-js (https://bitbucket.org/fbennett/citeproc-js/wiki/Home), the engine we use for formatting the citations. We will contact the developers there.

1 Like

I am having a similar problem with a multiple-word surname.

The author’s last name is “De La Torre”, but when I go to format citations Paperpile switches the in-text citation to “La Torre”. The bibliography entry looks like this:

La Torre, M. De, & Gwynne, J. (2009). When Schools Close: Effects on Displaced Students in Chicago Public Schools. Chicago, IL: Consortium on Chicago School Research.

When I’d like it to look like this:
De La Torre, M., & Gwynne, J. (2009). When Schools Close: Effects on Displaced Students in Chicago Public Schools. Chicago, IL: Consortium on Chicago School Research.

Thanks for your help!

On a related note. Is it possible to include search results with either of the two names in a hyphenated surname ? Right now I don’t get any results if I say search for Philippe when the surname is Jean-Philippe.

@Taylor_Allbright

That is a built-in feature of the citation processing engine (citeproc-js) we are using. I am no expert on Spanish names, but his entry here suggests that this is the correct behavior: http://www.ccc.commnet.edu/library/mla/alphabetical.shtml
“For Spanish names, de comes after the first name”.

@srivathsan_paperpile

Surnames regardless of being hyphenated are currently not in the search index, it is only the last name that is indexed. If this becomes a more requested feature, we will consider adding it.