Insert references per chapter

In my thesis, in google docs, I would like to have references listed per chapter, and not automatically at the end of the document. Is there a way to do this? If not this would be a feature request :smiley:

Or is the not-so-optimal solution to write chapters separately and merge at the very end?

Cheers,
Wouter

2 Likes

The solution is to write each chapter as a separate document. Multiple bibliographies within the same document would be a fairly big change. That said, I encourage others who would want this feature to add their voice below.

I have just come on to the forum to ask if a strongly-related feature exists, and found this thread. Some journals (publishing the methods section as online-only) ask for a main reference list - containing citations used in the full text - and an additional reference list containing references only used in the methods section. Writing the two sections as separate documents doesn’t solve this problem as you would need to exclude references used in the full text from the second bibliography.

1 Like

That’s not exactly what I’m asking for in this thread.

I am writing a bigger document (PhD thesis) and would like to list references after each chapter. I’m not citing chapters from books.

1 Like

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. (Earlier post deleted to avoid confusion.)

I’m writing a book at the moment. I’d definitely like to have a single document with references split by chapter, rather than having to split the book into separate chapters.

1 Like

+1. This is an important feature request. Endnote has the ability to do this for Word via settings of individual citation styles

1 Like

Yep! Adding my voice here- would love this feature. Using Paperpile (which of course is FANTASTIC) for references in my dissertation. Need separate reference lists per chapter, and so it’s a little painful doing separate documents. Have to recombine documents to send to committee for edits, then divide back out for edits, etc.

1 Like

Adding my voice too - important feature request.

2 Likes
  • 1 for the feature request of adding refereces per section / chapter
2 Likes

I concur with the general sentiment here. I would like to be able to have my reference list positioned before the tables and figures of my manuscript. The way Paperpile works now, however, is that it forces the reference list at the very end of the Word file, no matter what.

1 Like

@S_P it is possible to move your Paperpile reference list to wherever you want it, in Word. After inserting the bibliography in your Word document, click anywhere in the document where you want the bibliography to be, select Settings and Tools, and click Move bibliography here. The bibliography will move to the cursor position and also stay there when updating the document.
MoveBib

+1 for request to have multiple bibliographies in the same document for theses/dissertations or chapter-style work

Ah, that’s beautiful! Thank you so much for the clear explanation, too, suzanne!

1 Like