Keeping manual citation edits

Hi There,

I apologise if there is already a way to do this that I haven’t come across yet. I’m wondering if there is a way to make a manual edit to an in-text citation that is kept after document formatting. For example, instead of saying this:

“…something very interesting (Bloggs et al. 2014)”

I want to write this:

“Bloggs et al. (2014) say something very interesting”

So I want just move a bracket really. However if I do this and then reformat the document I lose any of these manual changes.

Many thanks

Dan

Yes, this is already possible. You can use the ‘Suppress Author’ option in the citation details like this (click the image to start the animation):

1 Like

Ah ha! Found it. Thanks for such a quick response!

How do I abbreviate the words “page” and “paragraph” in an in-text citation without using the Modifier? For example, using Paperpile, APA style displays an in-text citation with page and paragraph numbers in the following manner: (Johnson 2017, page 2; Kimberlee 2009, page 1149-1154; MacAbee 1998, paragraph 20).

However, I want the page and paragraph to appear in the abbreviated format in an in-text citation in the following manner without having to use the modifier: (Johnson 2017, p. 2; Kimberlee 2009, pp. 1149-1154; MacAbee 1998, para. 20).

Is it possible to abbreviate the words “page” and “paragraph” in an in-text citation without using the Modifier in Paperpile?

It sounds like you may not have formatted the references; the blue citations are placeholders prior to applying your Citation Style. Go to Paperpile --> Format Citations, in the Google Docs menu to apply the style. The APA style will use p./pp. for pages and para. for paragraphs.

For more information, see our Google Docs guide here.

1 Like