Merging Docs Files When Using Paperpile

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions regarding the best way to merge docs files.

Like a lot of people I prefer to write in small chunks, this is especially true in Docs which is not that navigatable. So I might write a series of chapters in different files using Paperpile for citations. When the work is finished, I need to merge the different files into one master document, and then generate a bibliography.

I have found one way of doing this via a Google script (https://www.pandadoc.com/google-docs-document-merge/), which works to a degree. The one thing that works excellently here is Paperpile interms of generating a bibliography from the merged citations. However, tables of contents and so on are another story.

So I was wondering if anyone else has any work-arounds in this area.

I also am interested as this would help with my Scrivener question. The reason I use it is to write and arrange in small increments as well so I like this idea as a sort of workaround in google docs. Have you tried any other scripts that helped as well??

I must admit I have not moved across to Paperpile / Google docs, therefore I have not put any more work into exploring any other options regarding merging Google Docs files. I have three problems with the Paperpile work-flow, the first is to do with annotating papers within Paperpile, the second is working on the go (no IOS support) and the third is the limitations of Google Docs as above. Once I realised these problems I stuck with my current workflow.

I work with Zotero, PaperShip, and MS Word. PaperShip works on my Mac and IOS devices strait from Zotero’s database. So I can research and save to Zotero, read the papers and annotate at my desk or on the go with PaperShip, saving changes to my Zotero database, and write and cite in Word. What killed Scrivener for me was no connectivity to Zotero or any other reasonably priced citation manager.

I believe that Paperpile has a lot of potential in itself, especially when it enables effective annotation and note taking of sources. But but being limited to google docs, an internet connection, and the lack of a mobile app so I can work on the move without dragging around my laptop, is very problematic for me.

Thanks for the elaboration!! I am just starting grad school and trying to find “my” system! I really like papepile but as I have to write longer work am I not as happy with Google Docs. I agree about the annotation, etc. that is one reason that I was using Mendeley prior to this, that and their client runs on linux. I also agree that scrivener needs better citation management, I did get a good tip from support here at paperpile involving Paperpile citekeys to scrivener then exporting to Latex, however I had trouble getting those citekeys to work properly as an end product and it was going to take as long to clean it up as it was to cite it without an aid!! Maybe over christmas break I’ll try it again.

That’s the problem, the amount of time consuming workarounds you have to master to gain an effective workflow using the packages ‘you’ want to use. In the end you spend more time trying to get things to work, than you do in research and writing.

That’s why I settled on three packages that play nice together and do the jobs I need them to do, even though they are not ideal, they work.

Paperpile has the potential to be a great research tool, but I worry that it will not be able to realise that potential with Google Docs. Just imagine Paperpile working seamlessly with Scrivener…

1 Like

I do imagine it, longingly…

1 Like