Problems with copied entries (book, book chapter)

The following problem occured: I wanted to cited different book chapters of the same book (anthology: different authors and titles of the book chapters). I had the main book and two chapters in my Paperpile database. I added the two chapters by copying the main book changing them from book to book chapter. The problem that occured was that even if I chose the different book chapters Paperpile added the main book. Also every copy of the book chapter entries were added wrong to the document. I solved the problem by deleting all entries in Paperpile and the according references in GoogleDocs. Afterwards I added the book chapters (I exported them as Bibtex before). Now it works. However, I know from other bibliography software that they have the feature of crossref for such anthologies.

One more comment: I just checked. It only happens, when I copy a book and change the copy (or copies) to a book chapter.

Thanks for reporting. Sorry for for this strange bug. Itā€™s already in our bug tracker and actually scheduled for next release. We still donā€™t know whatā€™s going on but we are confident to fix it soon.

Thank you for your reply. Seemed strange to me, too. However, I enjoy working with Paperpile!

Just a note that I am still experiencing this bug as of February 9, 2016.

Thanks, I re-opened it.

Just to note that I am experiencing a similar bug. In my case I copied a ā€œbook chapterā€ record and edited the new record, so that it contained the details of a different chapter from the same book. When I try to insert a reference to the new record in Google Docs, I see the correct details in the search box. However, the citation that gets inserted in the text and listed in the bibliography is to the original record that I copied from (i.e. the wrong chapter in the book).

Thanks. We are looking into that again.

Thanks. In case itā€™s helpful, I have now realised that if I open a new Google Doc I can insert a reference to either of the book chapters, and the citation and bibliography details appear correctly. But if I then try to add a reference to another chapter in the same book, the details that appear are those of whichever chapter I cited first.

1 Like

Iā€™m still having this problem. When I add a chapter to a book I usually ā€˜copy citationā€™ and edit data specific to chapter to save time. However when I go into a document to try to insert the citation I have the option of choosing the correct book chapter, however paperpile inserts it as the original citation I copied from. Iā€™ve tried erasing the DOI, going into the ā€˜duplicatesā€™ options and marking the chapter as not a duplicate, restarting paperpile, docs and chrome - nothing.

Option to chose correct citation:

What appears after I select:

ā€œDe Wall 2016ā€ is also how it appears in the document.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I have come across this problem again today. My workaround is to enter book chapters individually as separate, completely fresh records in Paperpile. But it would save a lot of time if you can get the ā€œmake a copyā€ function working properly at some point.

Thanks for the report. I think at this point @andreas, @jason and myself tried to fix this and thought itā€™s fixed. But apparently itā€™s not. Iā€™ll give it a bump in our bug tracker.

That should be fixed now.

1 Like

Yes, the problem seems to be fixed now. Thank you!

1 Like

I am experiencing this problem again. And so is my girlfriend. Could be nice to get a permanent fix :smile:

This bug haunts us for years now. Iā€™ll have my team look into it once more.

1 Like

Apparently, this is the bug that never ends. If Iā€™ve copied books into chapters, only the chapters will appear in google docs popup box. I have to add a new entry for the overall book for it to be added as a citation. The search box doesnā€™t even show it. When I go directly to paperpile, both the book and the chapters appear.

Edited: when I saw a suggestion to search for duplicates, I did that and it appears to be working correctly now. Will update if Iā€™m wrong.