Remember proxy access to JSTOR etc

I access JSTOR, Science Direct and a dozen other databases via my university’s proxy. So, for instance, when I go to JSTOR, it is not to www.jstor.org, but to www.jstor.org.proxy.library.nd.edu. And when I access it that way, I can download pdfs of the articles, because my library subscribes. And when I visit the proxy page, I can direct Paperpile to add the reference, and it (usually) picks up the pdf as well.

But when I find results in google scholar, and click Add to Paperpile, it hardly ever picks up the pdf, since it attempts to get it from the public link. Instead, I have to click on the library link to my institution (which appears on the Google Scholar result page, because I had added the Library Link in my google scholar settings), then choose another link on the page that pops up, which takes me to the database via the proxy, and then either delete the current paperpile entry and get paperpile to make a new entry, or download the pdf and manually connect it to the Paperpile entry.

This is really less than optimal. I’d much prefer to be able to click the Add to Paperpile button in Google Scholar, and then trust Paperpile to remember that I access that particular database via a proxy. If I remember rightly, this is something that Zotero does, and it was a very convenient feature.

We have not forgot about ezproxy support.

It’s not a trivial undertaking though and at the moment quite a few other feature requests from this forum keep us busy.

We’ll announce any news on ezproxy in the following thread: Resolving PDFs through EZProxy.

ezproxy support/tighter integration would be great, but as a “stopgap” I’ve been using the EZProxy extension in chrome for my workflow:

Basically I search, find article, click EZproxy extension. This loads the “library” version of the page and when I “add via Paperpile” it is smart enough to include the proxy address in the search domain when looking for the pdf leading to success most of the time in adding the pdf.

It’s not perfect, but for clicking one additional button, I think its not bad.

1 Like

This is great - thank you!

Can i use proxy access from http://advanced.info to JSTOR etc?

Can you clarify what you mean by proxy access from http://advanced.info?

This seems to be an IT company not a proxy technology.