Rules for tagging and putting papers in folders

If Paperpile can allow users to make arbitrary rules that assign the papers to folders to assign tags to them programmatically it would be a great time saver. Now a days with increasing number of papers I often find that I have to spend extra time organizing them. This not a feature found in most reference management softwares. This can be made similiar to how Gmail implements filters - allowing you to save a lot of time categorizing.

1 Like

Can you give an example of how a filter would look like? Would you like to move a paper in say “Alzheimer’s disease” if the title contains “Alzheimer”?

Yes Stephan so the filter could be defined for example to look for a specific word in the title / abstract or an author name and move it to a specific folder or tag it with a specific tag once the import is completed. it may be better of course if this happens automatically but if resources are an issue than it can be in the form of a manual button operation where the filter algorithm goes through a set of papers and tags accordingly. Similiarly a rule can be created for papers on a specific date (useful as I often search for the same thing for 1 - 2 days. Today for example I imported almost 50 papers in Paperpile and had to spend a lot of time in tagging them and moving them to folders (although I did multiple files together).

1 Like