Using Google Docs with Paperpile? Beta test our new Add-on!

Also, the papers they insert are stored with the document. You can then just go to “Cog > Manage references” and import the papers you like to your personal library.

1 Like

wonderful, thank you!

By the way, is there a way to render the citation in google docs as: Smith et al. (2014) rather than (Smith et al., 2014) or just (2014) (with the Frontiers citation stye if that makes a difference).

Yes, the “supress author” seems to be what you are looking for.

Sorry, but I think I tried that. Doesn’t suppress author remove the author name completely? I want it to write Smith et al. (2014), i.e. what latex users would call a \citet{} rather than a \citep{}.

You have to write “Smith et al.” yourself. The style does not define how to format the author in that case so it can’t be done automatically. It also allows you to say something like “Smith and colleagues” or whatever you like.

Got it, thanks!

It’s probably the only thing we adopted uncritically from Zotero without thinking too much about it.

I think it’s very flexible but on the other hand thinking more about it it should be also possible to make a \citet{} like citation out of (Smith et al., 2014) with a simple regex. Not sure what \citet{} would do with something like that (Smith et al., 2014; Eglen et al., 2015) though.

In any case, let us know how it goes. The add-on is currently with the Google Docs team for review and we hope to release it publicly soon. So any feedback is more than welcome.

1 Like

Testing now - seems to work well. I think you need to re-format citations before you can unformat them. Might be worth throwing a message if you try to unformat immediately on opening. I think papers in word works the same wa. Its a minor annoyance.

Thanks. We are looking into that.

Are you still adding beta testers? If so can I get added? Thanks.

Yes, we are very close to open up the beta. Our add-on was officially approved by Google.

But for now I’ve added you to the beta-group in this forum and you should see the thread about how to access the new add-on in your main forum list.

Is it possible to have a way to open the attached pdf / notes directly through the addon without having to navigate to the main application (as it already shows abstract and links )?

I dont know if you are still looking for beta tester, but I would love to join

Our add-on is now publicly available for everyone in the Google Docs webstore:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/paperpile/imanmdcibgaflfaibbcmmkifdgllfopm

Please post any questions and feedback in the new add-on section of this forum.

@Johnny_Spangler It’s in public beta now and all sort of feedback is more than welcome.

That’s a technical issue. At the moment, the add-on is not well connected to the rest of the Paperpile app. It lives within Google docs in kind of a sandbox and it’s hard to get out. But we have plans and ideas how to properly link the content for users that have a Paperpile library.

Please note that the add-on is fully functional also for users without a Paperpile account and we focused on this use case first.

Please add me as well!

Would like to participate in the beta thanks.

@Stefan_Alexa and @steingart:

Our add-on is now publicly available for everyone in the Google Docs webstore:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/paperpile/imanmdcibgaflfaibbcmmkifdgllfopm3

Please post any questions and feedback in the new add-on section of this forum.