Website links in references

Hey Stefan, I have no specific references for the impact on search ranking, just assuming that a webpage with proper semantics will generally perform better.

When I copy n paste from Google docs to Wordpress the <b> and <i> tags are retained so I thought <cite> tags might be able to be retained too. Just a thought.

I think I ran into the same problem and I solved it like this:

1. Select all in Google Doc → copy
  2. Paste into the HTML editor on my blog (CKEditor)
  3. Select all in the editor → remove all formatting
  4. View source in the editor → select all and copy
  5. Paste into Vim
  6. Fix up links using Regex :%s/<a href=“http.\{-}:\/\/paperpile.com.\{-}“>\(.\{-}\)<\/a>/\1/g

That’s it!

Mate several people face the issue while copying content from google docs to WordPress that extra element tags were included like: < span > < p > < b >, < i >, and etc. For making it easy you can simply copy the content from google docs to WordPress sample page and save it. Then copy the save version of the article on your page. This will remove all the extra elements tags, css properties and etc. Now you can also google chrome extension to sink all google docs to WordPress and push all the content directly without any hassle.

Hi Stefan,
This does not look like a solved problem. Moreover, the google docs addon doesn’t really work. When I print the file to PDF all the hyperlinks still lead to paperpile addresses, which will be meaningless for someone reading the file who is not a member of the google docs document.
Amit

The documents still include the Paperpile links to ensure that we can always format the citations correctly and the bibliography contains Paperpile links so that (1) we can correctly identify it as a bibliography and safely replace it, and (2) make it easier for the author to get to the associated metadata when reviewing the bibliography.

You can export a copy of the document without any of these links by using the add-on. To open the add-on go to Add-ons --> Paperpile --> Manage Citations, in the Google Docs menu. Then in the sidebar click the gear and go to Export. Select the option to export the document with no citation codes. If you then save that exported copy as a PDF, it will not contain any links to Paperpile, and any URLs in the bibliography will correctly link to their external sources.

Hi Jason,
Very well. Too bad, though, that the citations no longer lead to the journal DOIs.
Amit

1 Like

The export feature for ‘no citations codes’ does not show up? I just simply would like markers to be able click a citation in line or in references and go straight to that link and not a paperpile url asking them to install paperpile

That option is in the sidebar linked above. Click the gear, then Export:

Then select the top option and click “Export document”.

Hi,
So it seems that the way paperpile links the references is still of no use with the export feature. So, for instance, when I export the document as a pdf and click in any reference in the text, instead of taking me to the formatted reference in the footer, it opens a webpage where the message below appears…

Welcome to our forum, @Wladimir! As discussed throughout this thread, citation links are internal and don’t currently lead anywhere when exported to PDF. Since these links are essentially the foundation of our citation features, I understand modifying their behavior would entail rethinking the whole structure (which is not off the table, we’ve just prioritized other aspects of our development instead).

The export function described in the post right before yours entirely removes the citation links from an exported document, so as to avoid opening the blocking page you saw. No way to link citations to their bibliography items yet - adding your +1 to the topic on our internal tracker.

Hi Vicente. Thank for your response.

So let me, if I may, give a friendly suggestion to Paperpile: to sort this out as soon as possible because, maybe this is a deal breaker for other users like me (our project is going to release soon several technical books, and we will have to spend time adding manually links from each one of the thousands of citations that appear in the several chapters to the Paperpile generated list of references). There is no question that if we find an alternative to Paperpile which works on Google Docs and would saves us this time, I would take our project to it right away.

And we have to wonder why Paperpile has not solved this before, as it is quite embarrassing (I mean, sending the user to the error page every time she clicks in a reference?..), it would be a hugely useful feature and from the coding point of view, it is seems trivial (I don’t see why “rethinking the whole structure” of Paperpile would be needed, as you can add a layer of code for the interaction of the user with the link).

Anyway, hope this helps

Hello, seems like this in not yet fixed. Is there a status update re whether this would be prioritized soon?

I would like to use Paperpile to collaborate with others on a google doc and share it afterwards, but the fact that the links lead to the Paperpile website instead of the original sources (e.g. arxiv) makes Paperpile useless.