After Search Then Failed Add to Bibliography Everything Breaks

Helo There,

I’m in my 30-day trial and I’m running into a weird hiccup. I get a failed add to my bibliography when searching for the book “Who Moved My Cheese”. Here’s what happens:

  1. Click Add Papers type Who Moved My Cheese into text field and then hit Search button.
  2. I get the list of books to choose from. Almost all are from Google Scholar.
  3. I try to add the first item to my PaperPile bibliography and nothing happens. The little waiting indicator just spins.
  4. I then close this window.
  5. Then none of my Google integrations work. I can’t open my PDFs in Google Drive. I can’t open my PaperPile Google Drive folder. Everything fails with a message of “Still Working” or “Failed” up in the header.

I’ve tried logging out and logging back in. I’ve tried uninstalling the extension and re-installing it. I tried completely wiping my cache and history and the issue is still present.

The only way I could fix it was by completely resetting Chrome.

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone run into this? Is there a fix that isn’t listed in the Troubleshooting doc?

Thanks!

I’ve checked your account and you get an error, which we have not seen before. It’s most likely the reason why Paperpile suddenly behaves weirdly. I’ll try to see if I can reproduce.

Yes, I can reproduce. This particularly book seems to bring Paperpile to a halt. It can be fixed by disabling and re-enabling the extension. Other imports from Google Scholar seem to work. I could import 5 other ‘Who moved my cheese’ books but this particular one from J Spencer - Putnam’s Sons. New York causes trouble.

I’ve created a ticket in our bug tracker and we’ll have a look at it.

Thanks, nice catch.

Thanks! I will avoid that particular piece of cheese.

We just found out the reason is that this “Book” is actually a one page Word document. Paperpile tries to analyze this link for meta-data but trips over the Doc file. We’ll try to catch this in an upcoming release.