Would be happy to test!
Hi Vicente! How are things looking? Is it still on track for September/October? Thanks.
Very much so! Things have been progressing well, so end of September is looking highly likely
I also would be happy to test the Safari/webapp extension.
I recently completed switching to Mac and noticed even Edge is considerably more power-consuming than Safari on the M1 platform (despite being very decent compared to Chrome).
I could also install the Paperpile iOS app on my mac which was surprisingly stable, however, there is a name conflict with the Paperpile Mac app , even after renaming them.
Hi vicente, it would be great to have a go at this beta. I reluctantly stopped using paperpile for a while because of this so it would be great to see how it goes for me!
Quick update about the Safari extension (this is Stefan, CEO and founder). I think it’s easiest to share the complete background to explain where we are at:
- For a long time, Safari had a completely different extension system compared with Chrome, Edge, Firefox and any other browsers. Since the Paperpile web app depends quite a bit on the browser extension (beyond just the “import” button…) it was not really possible to rewrite everything just for Safari.
- Luckily, Apple realized that’s a limiting factor for Safari and consolidated their extension system with all other browsers. That allowed us now to work on a Safari extension.
- Roughly at the same time, Chrome announced major changes to their extension system (which is called the “Manifest 3” update). That required us to also rewrite the Chrome extension quite considerably. In principle, that’s good because it gave us a clear deadline for a new and better Paperpile (I will announce something soon here on the forum…).
- However, while Chrome remains steadfast to switch to Manifest 3 in January 2023 we (and everyone else seriously developing Chrome extensions) realized it’s far from stable and an unfinished mess. That’s why we are now in the process to make sure everything will work for our customers on Chrome beyond 2023.
- What does this mean for Safari? Pretty much everything we do now for Chrome also applies to Safari. So all the new features, faster performance, … of the Chrome extension will land on Safari eventually. However, we need to release the new Chrome extension first and go through the beta before it makes sense to release Safari. Chrome Manifest 3 has bugs we need to work around, Safari extensions have their own issues and if we add our own bugs things would get out of hand very quickly…
Beta testing of the new Paperpile will start in early October. It depends on how well this goes to decide when we can move forward with the Safari version. I’ve also added some comments about the new Paperpile in this thread.
Thanks for this update, which is a very reasonable explanation for the immense delay to the specific topic. I can understand quite well that this also means that we‘ll have to wait at least until the release of Manifest 3 in order for Paperpile to make substantial changes accessible or have I understood that wrong?
My problem however is not necessarily with Safari or Chrome altogether (I‘m happy to use either or other browsers, whatever works) but I need an option that allows me to edit Metadata on my Ipad - are you going to release something (e.g. in the mobile app, would love that) that is tackling this problem in the meantime (as I was promised over a year ago in this thread, as you cannot access the desktop version from any mobile browser and safari apparently is the only browser allowing for desktop versions on mobile devices, where however, paperpile is not working…)?
So regardless of the efforts for a better paperpile, please provide some solution for mobile users, as you can use an IPad pro perfectly as a working laptop, just not with Paperpile…
Thanks for the update. Can you let us know what we can expect from the new Paperpile?
Thanks Vicente. Does it mean that we will get everything outlined there in early October?
My guess is that we can expect only what’s in “Started”, because the rest has not yet been, well, started.
Or…the roadmap has not been updated and we will get a nice and welcome surprise!
Thanks for pointing this out, @hellstrom – as @Jose kindly mentions, the roadmap has not been updated so some of what’s marked as Planned will also be implemented soon; namely BibTeX key customization and improved note-taking. Markdown support and integration with other apps are also very much on the table but won’t be part of this initial release.
Just came by to say hello.
(and to secretly ask about updates)
Our definitions of “very very soon” seem to be different…and it’s no longer October now. Any updates on the beta? I assume the end of year deadline is also being pushed back? Not feeling confident about this.
My site is not shown responsive in safari only please any one in the community guide how to set my website on safari
+1 for this.
In the interest of transparency, especially considering the original estimate of the beta has already come and gone, would it be possible to reflect that in the roadmap?
At least then we know what’s coming, what’s not, etc. I’m not asking for when because it’s clear that timelines are flexible. A now/next/later is more than fine.
I think my attempts for transparency have been part of the issue here. Knowing our development conditions and limitations, the team prefers not to share estimates which are almost never met, but I have (optimistically) decided/advocated to share them here. We understand how these constant delays look and feel from a user perspective – they are our main source of dismay and disruption.
Having said that, it seems we will have a first limited beta in December. Everything marked as started on the roadmap is actively being worked on, although not all of it will be in this first beta –
sharing and offline support, for example, will come later (hopefully first quarter of 2023). We’ll be back with more news in the upcoming weeks.
@vicente I wouldn’t want transparency to be taken in a negative light here, it’s still appreciated! I suppose not sharing any updates would’ve technically reduced frustrations, but I also wouldn’t have become a customer if I hadn’t known what’s being planned.
I realise the irony in my next question, but how far off do you think the rest of the roadmap is and how do they rank in priority? Specifically organisation and integration of notes/annotations…that’s turning out to be a big one and so I’m using Zotero again for now as it doesn’t seem like it’ll be ready when I need it to be. A very rough idea would be fine.