Extension for Safari

A good part of Paperpile’s functionality relies on the extension. Unfortunately Safari decided not to support the same extension system as Chrome, Edge and Firefox agreed on.
On Safari it’s necessary to have a native macOS App that provides the extension functionality. That’s not an easy undertaking. Still, we actually spent quite some time and effort to do exactly that. Our upcoming Word plugin is a native Mac application and will allow us to evaluate full support for Safari going forward. It’s not on the immediate roadmap but clearly on our radar.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply, Stefan. I am curious which part of Paperpile does not work in Safari yet. For me, as long as I can search and open paper in Safari, it is good enough. I can use Chrome to add paper to Paperpile.

BTW, any update on the desktop version? I would love it. Thanks!

It is better to use Safari in Mac OS and if you face any issue using peperpile in safari I suggest you open it from safari secure mode. You might be thinking that safari can’t establish a secure connection to server but the thing is not like that you will be able to use it. Yes, you might have been heard by using that sort error occurs but that error can be fixed by doing some simple methods that are described in the article.

1 Like

Given the fact that Safari can now import extensions for Chrome, will you be porting over the Paperpile extension to Safari?

7 Likes

@Chet_McLeskey we’re looking into this but not as a current priority, although I understand the update makes it a much more feasible possibility. I’ve added this feedback to your existing +1 on the topic on our internal tracker to bump it up.

2 Likes

Please make paperpile compatible with Safari. With the new word plug in working so well, all I need paperpile to do in safari is to view my library and save papers. This is the only thing stopping me from completely moving to safari for all my browsing needs.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree with this. The improvements to Safari 14 make it far preferable to Chrome on macOS. I hpe you’ll reconsider and bump this on your priority list.

1 Like

+1 for this please :slight_smile:

+1 from me too. This is a bit of a chicken and egg situation in my opinion. The only reason, and really the only reason I switched to using chromium-based browsers (chrome and edge) is paperpile. If you guys release a working plugin for safari, I will be switching back immediately.

2 Likes

despite the fact that I have Windows, Chrome and the truth is increasingly beginning to fail. Just forced to use two browsers, due to constant problems recently in Chrome

1 Like

Being restricted to chrome really throws off my workflow. I typically use safari otherwise, so when I stumble across a new paper, I have to stop, open chrome, reopen the link in chrome, then import it. Or I have to download it and drag it into paperpile in chrome. All of which makes Paperpile just that bit unpleasant.

A safari extension just can’t come quick enough for me.

2 Likes

Is a Safari extension still not planned? I would love to ditch Google Chrome :frowning:

1 Like

+1 for me too. understood prior justification for not porting to Safari, given the significant drain on resources it would have entailed. But seems like Apple’s new tools should make the port pretty straightforward.

+1 please look into supporting Safari

Given the new M1 Macs are able to run iOS apps natively, will Paperpile be available on the App Store for MacOS? (Edit: I tested, the app works perfectly on M1 Macs).
If so, I imagine all the iOS apps needs now is the ability to export citations and it becomes an almost complete desktop app.
Given that, how hard it is to translate an iOS app to MacOS “also for intel macs”? I believe that will solve most of the problems for everyone looking for safari support.

Edit: I believe the tool for this is called Catalyst.

1 Like

+1 for this. Now that porting to Safari is much easier, I would really like to move away from Chromium browsers as much as possible for the massive improvement in efficiency that Safari provides.

Yes, with all the reasons that other comments have mentioned, I would also like to +1 for Safari extension please. Thank you!

Have you had any issues with Paperpile on the M1 Macs? I am thinking of buying one to replace an older MacBook Pro, but am a little concerned given the issues people have had with Chrome and Word.

The iOS app works fine on the M1 (keep in mind you can only read, annotate and add new references on the iOS app).
Otherwise, I had to download chrome for the full features, it works fine, no problems so far.
Google docs works perfectly fine too (in Chrome).
I haven’t tried MS Word.