Extension for Safari

+1 for this. Now that porting to Safari is much easier, I would really like to move away from Chromium browsers as much as possible for the massive improvement in efficiency that Safari provides.

Yes, with all the reasons that other comments have mentioned, I would also like to +1 for Safari extension please. Thank you!

Have you had any issues with Paperpile on the M1 Macs? I am thinking of buying one to replace an older MacBook Pro, but am a little concerned given the issues people have had with Chrome and Word.

The iOS app works fine on the M1 (keep in mind you can only read, annotate and add new references on the iOS app).
Otherwise, I had to download chrome for the full features, it works fine, no problems so far.
Google docs works perfectly fine too (in Chrome).
I haven’t tried MS Word.

Have plans here changed at all in light of the major issues Chrome is causing for many users? Having Paperpile work with Safari seems more important now than ever.

Thanks for the latest bump @Austin_Lawrence and everybody who’s chimed in since my last reply. I’ve changed the status of this thread to planned since we’ve started the effort to support Safari and other browsers as part of a significant rewrite of the extension (which will also include new features and improvements). We are working hard to start rolling out a few new things in the coming months, so hopefully we’ll have good news about this soon.

8 Likes

A related wish item I would love to see as part of such a revision: the basic Paperpile database and related functionality should function in any regular web browser, with no reliance on the extension. The core functionality of browsing, updating metadata, opening PDFs, etc. should just be a vanilla web app with no need for the extension to function. This would relieve significant pressure on the extension to be ubiquitous.

3 Likes

Wonderful! I’m very glad to hear this. Do you have a sense of when Safari will be supported? Chrome has become essentially unusable, which makes Paperpile also essentially unusable.

1 Like

Agreed! This would be very helpful. It is odd to me that Safari, for instance, can load the web app, then loads an error message saying Safari is not supported and Paperpile currently only runs on Chrome. I am not a developer and recognize that there may be very good reasons for this, but it would be a very nice feature to have.

1 Like

Hi Vicente, this is great to hear. I would really love to use Paperpile with Safari. Chrome is such a resource hog on MacOS that I would really appreciate the use of Paperpile on Safari. Thanks heaps!!

1 Like

I’m curious- have your tried any of the other Chromium flavors (Edge, Vivaldi, Brave)? I literally stopped using Paperpile for a while when I switched to mac because I hated how chrome hogged resources. I ultimately switched back because my hate for Mendeley shines brighter than that for Chrome- but then I switched to Edge and Vivaldi (which support PP just fine) and I don’t seem to feel as bogged down as before- Vivaldi also has a ton optimizations (at the cost of a little less robustness) that I am not sure I would go back to Safari even if Paperpile supported it.

1 Like

Hey @heumed, thanks for the recommendations. I have not tried those on my Mac. I heavily rely on Evernote and 1password integration but I assume they should also work with the chromium flavors. However, the 1Password chrome integration on the mac is horrid compared to the slick and simple Safari integration. Since Safari is working really well for me (other than the use of paperpile which I absolutely rely on), I’m not too excited to switch since simplicity and integration in a single browser is a huge selling point for me. However, I’ll give Vivaldi a shot just to see how it works. Really appreciate your thoughts on this - thanks!

1 Like

Eager to hear updates about Safari Extension. Has alpha or beta testing started yet? I’d like to join some tests of this. Currently Paperpile is the only thing that is holding me back from moving to Safari completely.

1 Like

+1 for me too, exactly the same.

This is still happening! No new updates to share just yet, though - we will announce once beta testing begins. Thanks for your patience.

5 Likes

Hi Vicente, where should we look for updates regarding beta testing? Will this be announced on this forum, on twitter, etc.? I just want to be looking in the right place - thank you!

2 Likes

We’ll announce here on the forum, likely via in-app notifications and email as well. There might be some more details on our next newsletter, to be sent by August-September. Once again, your patience is much appreciated!

8 Likes

Hi @vicente any word on the beta yet?

3 Likes

Still holding my breaths for the upcoming Safari beta. :sweat_smile:
@vicente @stefan, with MacOS Monterey just around the corner and many users updating their systems, you will make all of our days, weeks, months by giving us the option to shift to Safari! :heart_eyes:
I love Paperpile, and it is the ONLY reason (for years, literally) I’m still using Chrome!

5 Likes

Just adding a comment to follow this thread. Would be happy to be a tester if/when that happens. Thanks for all your work. Paperpile rocks!

1 Like