Format for author's dates?

What is the correct format for adding birth / death dates to an author entry in Paperpile? This is often used for long dead authors as well as to distinguish authors.

I realise that it is possible to display this in many different ways using the citation style, but how do I store it?

For example: William Stukeley (1687-1765)

Entry in University of York catalogue: http://yorsearch.york.ac.uk/44YORK:LS_44YORK_ALMA_DS:44YORK_ALMA_DS51234637760001381

Thanks,
Richard

There is currently no option to store birth/death dates for authors in Paperpile. Could you point me to the citation style you are using where this is possible or the workaround you use to do this?

The problem is that I haven’t found a way of getting the data into the ‘Author’ field in Paperpile in a way that stays there and is usable by a citation style.

I realise that this is very much an edge case and maybe my librarian origins are confusing things! This is important for the bibliographic metadata in library catalogues but perhaps not so much with citations / references.

In essence, I guess the purpose of the citation is to point uniquely to an entry in the reference list and that in turn should contain sufficient information for someone to locate and consult the correct, original document.

With that in mind, I suggest that this ticket could be closed and I’ll raise a new one if I come across an example where the birth/death dates are necessary for unique resolution.

Thanks,
Richard