Live bibtex file in Google Drive

Would be very useful to have a live (auto-updated) bibtex file (as Mendeley offers) in Google Drive, to save having to re-export every time there is a change to the library.

Also, would be great to have some interface with a service like sharelatex.

Paperpile is so powerful, but needs more integration than just google docs for longer / more complex papers…

Thanks
Jon

23 Likes

All makes sense and users keep asking for these features. It’s definitely on our radar.

2 Likes

I would add that an option to select which entries to export to the bibtex file would also be helpful. I like to keep project libraries with only relevant articles for writing. Having the entire paperpile archive in one bibtex file is not always what I want, rather just some search results or otherwise selectable subsets.

3 Likes

@stefan: any updates on this? Persistent up to date bibtex file (either of the whole library or several) in GDrive would be very useful and also a workable solution for offline work.

No updates yet. But as we are working on the Word plugin and the mobile apps we finally also build the necessary internal APIs and technical infrastructure to make features like this possible.

Just giving a little bump to this. Would LOVE a live bib file in google drive.

Any updates? And saying you are to busy working on the Word API runs is no excuse to the latex crowd :smile:

Thanks!

Thanks for the bump. We appreciate every bump, it keeps us going…

I can see how saying we are working on the Word API is a very lame excuse for someone using LaTeX.

However, our work on the Word API actually also helps us lay the foundation for this feature. For example, to make this feature work efficiently we need to keep track exactly when something changed in your library so that we only update it if necessary. That’s something we have added for the Word (and mobile) API and will help us down the line with other features.

2 Likes

Would love this feature too - another bump for you! Thank you for all your work on this great product.

1 Like

It’s now 2 years since the request and almost a year since the start of the word integration. Has the ground work been sent/is there any progress toward this? The google doc integration is great (and surely has some of this api), we simply need something similar available for online LaTeX people to integrate with even the simple up-to-date bibtex file would work (and save us a number of clicks).

2 Likes

We are working on the Word plugin. Please don’t use the post dates in this forum against us. We are working a lot here and constantly hiring new people. But some things need time.

It would help if your fellow Paperpile users would stop asking for iOS and Android apps :smile:

Thanks for your patience.

1 Like

hi Stefan,
would love to see this. Even if it were not live, having something that’s built once/night or on demand to output the entire bibtex file would be super helpful.

Another bump from a new user here. An automatically updated bib file would be fantastic. I like to have a setup where I have a snippet for addbibresource{main_library.bib} at the top of my tex file, and cite using bibtex. I’d like to point that to a file in my paperpile directory on google drive.

1 Like

Another bump - please implement this! I’m writing papers in overleaf and I need this feature to automatically link to a LaTeX bib file as I add references

How would that work exactly with Overleaf? Can Overleaf work with a file in Google Drive?

Hi stefan - overleaf has a page about this: https://www.overleaf.com/learn/how-to/Can_I_use_Overleaf_with_Paperpile%3F

Looks like if I can export a bibtex to Drive (instead of downloading it), then the whole thing would link smoothly

simon

2 Likes

5 years and this is still not implemented.
can we get an honest response if this is really a planned feature?

The world has advanced and Paperpile is left way behind, it is almost impossible to integrate Paperpile in a modern workflow:

1. no integration with overleaf (which integrates with zotero and Mendeley)
  2. no official tables/ipad app (only beta test, with very slow feature additions and improvement)
  3. on the beta ipad app, no way to export bibtex file, or even get bib style reference

Having a live bib file that alway keep my updated library in an accessible place like Google Drive can circumference this. It would be great to have it per folder but even a bib with the full library would do a long way helping.

Currently, I am forced to abandon Paperpile, which I absolutely love, because it is unable to adapt to mobile way of life.

Add my +1.

I also think is a very important missing feature.

We should have some news about that relatively soon. In the meantime, we have put together a small survey to better understand the use cases and workflows related to LaTeX and BibTeX:

1 Like