How to take part
If you have not done so already, sign up here: https://paperpile.typeform.com/to/oKjiKR
We’ve invited all users who participated in the very first beta tests a while ago and also everyone who requested access here on the forum.
Our goal is to invite all of you as soon as possible and turn this into a public beta.
If you want to request early access, please directly contact us via the in-app messenger so we have your account information and we don’t clutter this thread with invite requests.
The main purpose of this beta is to collect feedback and find bugs.
Please post all problems, suggestions, experiences with the app here on the forum.
What’s in the beta?
Access your library on your mobile device
- View all your references and PDFs on phones and tablets
- Navigate quickly using folders, labels and stars
- Search for specific references
Organize your library
- Add references to folders and labels (via toolbar button or swipe left gesture)
- Manage folders and labels (create, rename, change color, remove)
Add references and PDFs to your library
- Add references and PDFs with the “Share via Paperpile” button on any mobile browser
- Download PDFs for references automatically directly in the app.
- Browse manually for PDFs and import them to your library.
Read and annotate PDFs
- Read your papers in a fast PDF viewer optimized for mobile devices
- Add comments
- Highlight and underline text in multiple colors
- Mark-up figures and tables with arrows, rectangles and oval shapes
- Add text directly to the PDF
- Draw and write anything on your PDF with the pencil tool
- Full support for the Apple Pencil
- Works together with our new PDF annotator for the web (also in beta)
Sync and Offline
- Automatically sync all your data and PDF annotations across devices
- Access all your references when offline
- Choose which PDFs you store on your device
- Set folders or labels as “offline” to download all PDFs automatically to your device
- Clear PDF files from your device to save space.
Roadmap: What’s next?
Background download of files Share articles from your mobile browser and import to Paperpile
- Search online databases and import references and PDFs directly from the app
- Finalize design and user interface including dark mode
- Add remaining features from web to mobile
Download of PDFs only works when app is active. If you set folders or labels with many PDFs as “offline” this can block the app for a while. We suggest to open PDFs individually and only set selected folders/labels as “offline”
- Shared folders are not supported
- Design is not final and the main list in particular on phones and for non-article/non-book references may still look a bit weird.
- Fixed a bug that made sync fail when a reference was “auto-updated” in the webapp.
- No other major problems were reported, so we keep inviting new users until we hit a showstopper
- Avoid app crash when file download fails.
- Fixed problem with folder/label dialog not showing check marks correctly
- Improved file downloads:
– Downloads start faster
– Download multiple files at once
– Finish downloads also when the app is not active
– Android: Show download progress notifications and keep downloads running even with the app closed
– Android: Fix issue that caused a crash in the PDF editor on older versions of Android.
- Improved rendering performance of the main list
- Improved overall performance for libraries with many labels or folders.
- Add “Share with Paperpile” option to add references and associated PDFs from any mobile browser.
- Add customizations for PDF viewer (page layout and transitions, scroll direction, dark theme).
- Open PDFs on the last viewed page
- Keep screen active when viewing PDFs (Android).
- Fix issue with annotations when screen was rotated (Android).
- Many more small improvements to the PDF viewer.
- Improve speed and stability of file downloads.
- General stability updates and many bug fixes throughout the app.
- New design of the app (work in progress and still rough but the final design including dark mode is on its way )
- New design and improvements of the “Share with Paperpile” dialog
- Improved accuracy of automatic PDF downloads
- Added automatic PDF downloads in the main app
- Added “Browse for PDF” feature to the main app and the “Share with Paperpile” dialog
- Replaced sync button with “Pull to refresh” (usually not needed as sync is automatic)
- New placement and design of file sync progress (less obtrusive by default but with more details if needed)
- Various performance improvements (up to 25% faster in certain situations on Android).