Paperpile for iOS and Android private beta (closed)

got the invite. Thanks

May I also have an invite? Is it necessary to post in the forum at this point or has everyone that filled out the forms been sent an invite?

Actually, just launching testflight on my iPhone after it was installed on iPad showed the paperfile app, so no 2nd invite required.

Some feedback for installation on iOS 11 and 12

iOS 11, iPad: I also got that message that my library is empty. I let it be, it itself removed that message after a few seconds, showing these wavy lines above again, that looked like a syncing approach (not really clear), and then the same message popped up that my library was empty. Tapping on the sync icon in the upper right worked the first time though, doing apparently something different and came back with my library in quite a short time.

iOS 12 beta, iPhone: Interestingly, I did NOT get the empty library message here and the syncing of my library seemed even faster? Also, I had a percentage display in the lower screen that Iā€™m not sure was there on the iPad?

Search engine (both iPad,iPhone): It seems you are using a different search engine on iOS than on the web client, which can be confusing when the same search term is used and returns different results.
In my example, I simply search for my last name ā€œAyeā€, and on the web it seems to first find papers where my name is found as a whole word in the author list (while ALSO marking things inside words like ā€œlayeredā€, would be nice if we could control that btw), but on iOS, it would not first list the papers where the whole-word author name matches my search term, but instead brought up a paper where one of the authors is called ā€œHayesā€. Would be best if the search works the same way on all systems, I guess.

All for now, thanks for letting me beta-test!

Hi! Iā€™ve sent requests twice, but nothing happens yet. I hope it is possible, because a read a lot of paper on my iPad.
Best!

Update
Iā€™ve just received the email. Iā€™m already testing it and my first thought was ā€œthis is awesomeā€.
Iā€™ll be more critical next posts.
Great work!

Hi guys,

Iā€™ve also filled out the forms but havenā€™t gotten an invite yet, but am excited to help with testing - Iā€™d extremely appreciate if I could get an invite for the android and iOS versions.

Thanks!

EDIT- Thanks for the invite! So far, installing and library sync went quickly and without issues (library of ~2200 files) on both Android phone (8.0) and iPad pro (11.4.1)

Hey,
So first of all - great app! Really useful already at this beta stage. Thanks!

I wanted to give feedback about the pdf viewer. I am aware I am nitpicking here - I understand itā€™s likely very low priority compared to other issues. Anyways- I like to use apps in split screen on my iPad pro 9.7 because itā€™s a very powerful way to get almost desktop-like productivity on the go, especially with a hardware keyboard, so I am anticipating to use Paperpile quite a lot in split screen (say, right next to a manuscript I am writing, a note taking program, or right next to a website or other pdf to compare them to each other).

What happens:
When using split screen on iPad pro (landscape mode), the pdf viewer shows the first page of a pdf as single, app screen filling page (as it should). The following pages however are shown in a double page layout, making it necessary to zoom in every time you scroll through pages. The very last page however is a single screen filling page again (if the pdf has an even number of pages). This is consistent between different pdfs, and also seems to mimic the behaviour of the pdf viewer when Paperpile is running in standard landscape mode (as single full-screen app).

What Iā€™d expect:
Pdf viewer has consistent layout for all pages in a pdf, all of them should be shown as single pages to maximize screen space when in split screen mode. Split screen is essentially two apps in portrait mode side-by-side, so Iā€™d expect the pdf viewer to behave like when Paperpile is in portrait mode.

I hope that wasnā€™t too convoluted, thanks keep up the good work!

• Update after playing around a bit: Interestingly, the pdf viewer indeed switches to single page layout for all pages after doing the following: 1. Open Paperpile in split screen 2. open a pdf in the viewer 3. minimize Paperpile by pressing home button [4. switch to a different app EDIT- not necessary] 5. switch back to Paperpile (still in split screen mode). Now the currently opened pdf is shown as single pages. When going back to the library and selecting a different pdf however, itā€™s back to the aforementioned two page layout and you have to repeat the cycle.

Weā€™ve pushed an update for Android and iOS yesterday. It contained mainly performance improvements and faster and more robust file syncs. Iā€™ve added a detailed list of changes to my initial post on top of this thread.

@HGO @David_Aceituno @michaelaye Thanks for your help testing and your feedback. We are in the ā€œbrainstormingā€ phase and let the ideas and feedback pour in. We will more systematically answer and address your comments later. We also started pulling out individual ideas to separate threads.

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for all your work.
So far, the pdf-annotation syncing has worked perfect. I use the iPad Pro with Apple Pencil and I can see the annotations in my desktop even the free handwriting notes.

The only feature that I miss from the desktop is that little tab ā€œnotesā€ that appears next to the ā€œabstractā€ tab in the list of papers. I find it quite handy because I usually make a summary and brief appraisal of the paper there. Is there any chance to include it in the iOS version?

Thank you again!

Hi Stefan,

Thanks! Still very happy with the apps. So far both Android and iOS apps run smoothly for me, no crashes or lags. Some additional feedback:

Bugs(?):

1. On both Android and iOS version: Search doesnā€™t work properly when you switch between the ā€œAll papersā€ view and Search. Can be reproduced as follows: 1. from ā€œAll papersā€ click on Search icon, 2. type in search string which gives you real-time search results while typing 3. go back to ā€œAll papersā€ by pressing arrow button 4. Click on search icon again -> now the search results are empty, although the search string is still entered in the search field and cursor is active. Even hitting OK (screen keyboard) or Enter on hardware keyboard has no effect. One has to start typing or delete a character from the search string to activate search again.

2. It looks like I canā€™t add a paper to the ā€œStarredā€ category on mobile?

I also have some suggestions that concern the ease of use and I thought Iā€™d make a separate post for them.

1. Android version does not have tag icons in swipe menu After swiping left on entries, you can select tags or folders for an entry. The iOS version shows a small colored icon for tags which I like a lot because it makes the selection process quicker. The Android version does not have them.

2. Left swipe to get from tag to folder selection. Adding to 1., in terms of ease of use I think it would be great if a second left swipe would get you from the tag to the folder menu. Right now you have to click on the folder tab. [EDIT- Extending this idea: It would actually be great if one could navigate to, from and within the tag/ folder menu using swipes instead of having to click buttons or tabs. E.g. left swipe on paper entry opens tag/folder menu, additional left swipes cycle through tag/folder tabs, right swipe in lieu of ā€œapplyā€ button to get back to paper view]

3. It would be fantastic if there was a "pin to topā€ function that allowed you to keep a handful of highly important papers at the top of your screen and prioritize them during searches and when you look at the paper selection for a tag or a folder. There is usually a handful of ā€œcore papersā€ for a certain tag/folder, and this would highlight them and allow quick access on mobile devices (And how great would it be if you could select to pin or star a paper by swiping right on an entry?!:wink:
    Pin-to-top would be similar to the ā€œStarredā€ category in certain aspects, but would be more integrated into the flow of tags/folders instead of being a separate category. I imagine that pinned papers would show up at the top of lists and searches, but when you scroll down they would collapse into a small entry at the top of the screen (say a single line with a pin icon) that you could click to expand/collapse those entries. Especially with many entries in folders or tags I would find this tremendously helpful.

1 Like

Hi,

I filled out the form for the beta a while ago, and I would love to participate! My experience with Paperpile has been great so far, but Iā€™m finding that exporting pdfs to a separate app/ecosystem for annotating on my iPad is a bit impractical. I feel that the Paperpile iOS app would really complete the experience for me, and Iā€™d be happy to provide my feedback to help you guys out!

Thanks

Here is some feedback on the iOS app for iPad:

• Sometimes (once so far) app needs manual sync to propagate pdf annotations to web version
  • It would be nice to have Define option for words
  • Display page number on screen tap
  • Star articles

But in general, Paperpile is awesome and much better than anything I used before. Thanks!

Iā€™d also requested an invite a while ago but canā€™t find the invitation email (Iā€™ve checked spam). I just completed the invitation request form again. Thanks!

Hi, I signed up for the beta, but missed the initial round of invites. Iā€™ve completely switched my workflow from Papers to Paperpile and an iPad app is the missing piece for me.

Could I have an invitation please? I would be happy to give constructive feedback.

Edit: I got an invite. Thank you!

Just installed on an Ipad Pro (about two years old).

First impressions:

• Installation was flawless. The into screen provides an excellent overview.
  • When asking for google credentials,some apps navigate to a screen where you can select a google account that you are already logged into instead of having to type in your login. Not a biggie but would add extra convinience
  • App navigated 2FA flawlessly
  • Sync took a couple of minutes but was pretty solid. My library has 3000 papers, 2000 of which have pdfs, lots of folders. Mendeleyā€™s desktop sync for a smaller library is not as solid.
  • Downloading a pdf reference was very smooth
  • Apple pencil support for highlights worked great. Highlighting was very smooth.No glitches so far.

Overall very polished. Kudos.

3 Likes

I just got Paperpile for the promise of the iPad app and integration with Google Docs. Iā€™m migrating from Zotero and I think that the iPad app is the missing piece of my research puzzle. Iā€™ve signed up for an invite to the beta, but I fear Iā€™m too late to the party and I havenā€™t gotten one yet. Iā€™d love, love, love to see if this would be the solution I think it will be to my writing dilemmas. I promise Iā€™ll give thorough feedback.

I signed up for the beta a while ago and havenā€™t received an invite yet. I would love to start testing the android app out soon if possible. Working on the clinic floor, it is often inconvenient to reference/save journal articles on a laptop!

Iā€™ve installed on both the iPad Pro and the iPhone 7. On each, the installation was easy and all my references quickly appeared. Changes made to a reference on the website was reflected almost instantly in the app and vice versa.

Downloading a pdf and annotating were very easy and intuitive. I did hesitate slightly when I didnā€™t see a button for comments, but the next logical step was to click on a bit of highlighted text and see what happened. Which promptly allowed me to add comments.

Highlights and comments made on documents show up on all versions of Paperpile as expected.

Iā€™m looking forward to being able to add references, edit references, and export annotations and comments in the app. I am dying to be able to use Paperpile Cite while you Write on my iPad.

I have been working towards using the iPad Pro as my primary device for research and writing and so far, no one has been able to create a seamless citation manager that works with a iOS word processing app that I can also access on my work computer that is a PC. If you can get Paperpile to do this, you will win the internet. I know a number of academics and students that long to ditch the laptop and migrate to the iPad full time, but citations are a hindrance to that.

Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Happy to beta test the iOS version. Filled the form twice long long time ago but never received the invitation letter. Thanks :slight_smile: