Public developer API

Yes, we should have something to share relatively soon related to automatic BibTeX export via an API endpoint.

In case anyone is interested here, we also have put together a short survey to better understand the LaTeX and BibTeX use cases of our users:

Just want to second the request for a public api. Looked at your survey and what you all have planned. Looks really nice, but it does limit the flexibility. An api allows workflow to be completely customizable and that’s something that I really have to piece together with paperpile right now. Integration with notion will be really nice because I can use their relational database to track my papers, but even their relational database is a little limited tbh

2 Likes

Hello, We at Third Iron would love access to a Public API, so that we could integrate with our product, BrowZine and directly export papers to your platform as requested by our customers: https://thirdiron.com/

Please develop this and have a great day!

-Third Iron

Hi, still no further info about API? I would like to massively extract cite keys from paperpiles. Is there any way to do it in current version ?

1 Like

Yes, you can export your library (Settings>Export). All the export formats (except RIS I think) will include the cite keys.

I don’t know if this ever made it to a roadmap for the product, but it should be considered.

There are a number of new tools out there focused around note-taking and organization heavily used in academia I’m sure: Obsidian, Roam Research, Notion, LogSeq, Mem to name just a few. I see more and more tools integrating with Zotero, primarily because they can. And it’s the first time I see people switching back to Zotero simply to have the ability to more easily integrate with all tools facilitating the thought process and the research.

I would take a good look at what the LogSeq and Zotero integration look like for example to get a better understanding of how people hope to use products like Paperpile. Starting around 7:55 of this video: Integrating Logseq and Zotero: A great combination for academic writing - YouTube, you can how, with the /Zotero keyword, the user can connect his notes with a paper and its annotations.

6 Likes

THIS! ^ I would love to be able to import my notes into Obsidian.

3 Likes

Are there any news on a public API for PP, like Zotero has? Everywhere software is getting more connective and interoperable, why should Paperpile remain a data silo, a lone digital dinosaur?

2 Likes

Agreed. There are a lot of features that users want and it would be a lot easier to see these if you were to provide a public API. Users could just make integrations themselves and I bet that would take a load off for developers.

2 Likes

This is not about what we want. It’s about to understand what makes costumers stay!

If people work with several connected services, it is more likely, they will keep using it. The more services are connected to other services, the better it is for Paperpile from a economical point of view. Paperpile is the “source of truth” in such a scenario.

I assume Paperpile Devs know this. So the only reasons against a public API I see, are:

• They are afraid of create an attack surface. As there is already an API, that argument is like “Security by Obscurity”
  • They are afraid of additional bandwidth load and/or are not willing to implement quotas.

Am I missing something?

Agreed, where is the API? It’s 2022 and people want to build on platforms.

No news to share here yet – although integration with other tools has always been at the core of our strategy, developing a public API is simply not a topic we’ve prioritized thus far. Despite @Alfred_Feldmeyer (and all the rest who have chimed in on this thread)'s valid reasoning, it is a matter of user demand + our available resources rather than lack of interest or potential risks. This remains a long-term goal for us and we keep track of demand.

1 Like

It would be very nice to have this be a public api

2 Likes

The problem with this approach is that for better/worse, Paperpile is very, very slow to get new features (and/or, they are spread across enough platforms that no specific platform gets very many few features). Fortunately for PP, a good chunk of your audience know how to program (i.e., those in sciences, computer science, etc) and would likely build things on top of the public API to address shortcomings.

1 Like

I think you underestimate the value add of plugins + API features. Particularly with the rise of LLMs.

3 Likes

Any suggestions on how to get highlight summaries out of PaperPile and into Roam Research, as a public API doesn’t seem to be a priority for the roadmap (in this day and age??)

It may be possible in upcoming time while till now it is not apper. In future it may be happened.
Thanks

I would like to add a +1 for the addition of a Public API. The possibilities seem almost mind-blowing, AI/LLM analysis, Obsidian etc. integration, creating value-add services etc. I’m doing quite a lot of this just now, but there is just this manual bit where Paperpile comes in. I tried using Zotero and it opens up a lot of possibility but it’s just not quite worth loosing the great PP functionality – especially with the new Beta site and full-text search.

To PP product dev team: would it help if a few of us got together and drew up a rough outline of what a MVP API would look like with some use cases? It seems like there’s plenty of interest, and perhaps some clarification of exactly what we want might be useful rather than “GIVE US API” :rofl:

3 Likes

Why is a public API not a high priority given high interest of your customers throughout the years?

2 Likes

yes! building a core, extensible platform like Obsidian.md has to be the #1 priority after getting the new app* released. Allowing power users / developers to build creative and/or niche add-ons will boost development velocity many times over compared to what Paperpile dev team alone is capable of.

Regarding @vicente’s comment:

it is a matter of user demand

if you build it, they will come. Value Propositions in Business Ecosystems - Products, Marketplaces, Extensions - Boundaryless

*hopefully it’s been developed with this in mind already so there isn’t a ton of refactoring.

2 Likes