Public developer API

The problem with this approach is that for better/worse, Paperpile is very, very slow to get new features (and/or, they are spread across enough platforms that no specific platform gets very many few features). Fortunately for PP, a good chunk of your audience know how to program (i.e., those in sciences, computer science, etc) and would likely build things on top of the public API to address shortcomings.

1 Like

I think you underestimate the value add of plugins + API features. Particularly with the rise of LLMs.

3 Likes

Any suggestions on how to get highlight summaries out of PaperPile and into Roam Research, as a public API doesnā€™t seem to be a priority for the roadmap (in this day and age??)

It may be possible in upcoming time while till now it is not apper. In future it may be happened.
Thanks

I would like to add a +1 for the addition of a Public API. The possibilities seem almost mind-blowing, AI/LLM analysis, Obsidian etc. integration, creating value-add services etc. Iā€™m doing quite a lot of this just now, but there is just this manual bit where Paperpile comes in. I tried using Zotero and it opens up a lot of possibility but itā€™s just not quite worth loosing the great PP functionality ā€“ especially with the new Beta site and full-text search.

To PP product dev team: would it help if a few of us got together and drew up a rough outline of what a MVP API would look like with some use cases? It seems like thereā€™s plenty of interest, and perhaps some clarification of exactly what we want might be useful rather than ā€œGIVE US APIā€ :rofl:

3 Likes

Why is a public API not a high priority given high interest of your customers throughout the years?

2 Likes

yes! building a core, extensible platform like Obsidian.md has to be the #1 priority after getting the new app* released. Allowing power users / developers to build creative and/or niche add-ons will boost development velocity many times over compared to what Paperpile dev team alone is capable of.

Regarding @vicenteā€™s comment:

it is a matter of user demand

if you build it, they will come. Value Propositions in Business Ecosystems - Products, Marketplaces, Extensions - Boundaryless

*hopefully itā€™s been developed with this in mind already so there isnā€™t a ton of refactoring.

2 Likes