Using paperpile with Microsoft Word

Any news on this? I see posts about a private beta from October of 2016, but then more posts from lots of people saying that they signed up for it and then never heard anything, even months later. I would expect that if a private beta was coming “soon” back in October of 2016, then there should be some progress on this a year later, even if only to say that the beta has been released and is ongoing (and maybe some ways to get it).

1 Like

I’m afraid at this point I can only confirm that we are way behind schedule on this…

We released the sign-up form early on purpose so we can collect feedback from interested users. In the long term that will prove to be helpful for the product. In the short-term however, it clearly was misleading in terms of expectations on the timeframe. I’m sorry for that.

Stefan can you confirm the app is still in development? I promise I am not trolling but been a subscriber for a couple of years but it’s seems to have slowed down somewhat

Wow, that comes as a surprise and it’s somewhat ironic as we have doubled our staff this year and moving faster than ever.

We’ve invested a lot of money and resources to port Paperpile to iOS, Android, and Desktop (Word) and prepare our server infrastructure to make all the features possible you are waiting for. This takes time and we have come very close.

I can see how our users who are not familiar with how much work is being done every day here on new stuff, can get the impression that we’ve slowed down.

Not sure what to do about it. These are huge releases and can’t really be done I small chunks just to demonstrate progress. Once we’ve rolled out these new products and fixed some technical debt that holds us back in the main app we hope to get back to constant user visible feature releases.

3 Likes

Thanks for the response Stefan . It was probably more a fear on my part…Used the majority of all other reference tools and this is the only one that has clicked… thank you

2 Likes

Please, please, please let this come to fruition.

It takes time but I can guarantee that it will come to fruition eventually. I know what we have and there is no way we not release it.

1 Like

It takes time…I guess at least 4 months… I re-added Bookends to my iPad, and am learning how to become a bookends power user. I’m so sick of Paperpile overpromising and underdelivering…

Any more news? My subscription is coming up and I’m thinking of moving, but I’d rather not. PaperPile is far, far better than any other reference manager I’ve used especially with automatic discovery.

Waiting on this one as well… It is starting to become really annoying to continuously have to switch between google docs and Word…

Presumably no news is bad news. It’d be nice to have an update, but I imagine if the update was something beyond “we’re working on it, no ETA” then there would be a comment from the developers here. Having to switch between Word and Google Docs is indeed annoying-- though, if I’m being honest, it’s manageable (for me). You can juts export your library to Mendeley or something and cite with that in Word, but of course that’s neither particularly elegant nor efficient.

1 Like

I agree that it is annoying but I am finding that I am using Endnote less and less with Word because I am having trouble keeping up with all the updates to Word interacting with updates to Endnote so I am going to Google Docs with paperpile more and more as my go to composition/reference manager solution. Top of my wishlist remains mailing a reference to my paperpile if there is no iOS Chrome implementation.

1 Like

I’ve written a short summary where we are at with new developments in another thread. This also applies to the Word plugin.

http://forum.paperpile.com/t/is-paperpile-development-dead/2897/19

Jozsef and Jason also posted in this thread, both work on the Word plugin.

Sad to say I’m on the brink of abandoning Paperpile for a cross-platform service because I have to use Word in my job :unamused:

1 Like

Would love an update on the Word integration. The few times I’ve moved from Google docs to Word it hasn’t been as easy or as smooth as the experience of a poster above me in the thread. I love Paperpile - it is so much more intuitive and pretty to look at then all the others, but as much as I would love to live in a Google Docs world, I don’t. I do need this and would love to hear it’s on its way.
Thanks!

1 Like

@KCF Please stay tuned, we should have something to announce here on the forum for the fall writing season :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you Stefan. :slightly_smiling_face:I know you all are working hard on this. I look forward to seeing what you have for us. Please keep us updated - I know you all think it isn’t important, but regular status updates are super-helpful for those of us struggling with the current situation.

2 Likes

Hi Stefan et al,

I appreciate you and your team’s openness about paperpile’s development. Just to let you know I am working on a manuscript where my team and I use Mendeley (since it’s paid for by our University and it has a Word plugin, and moving our collaborators and sponsors to Gdocs is not feasible) to add references to our manuscripts.

Mendeley’s user experience is awful. References don’t transfer smoothly as we share the document with each other, their selector window doesn’t show the whole reference (doesn’t even show up if you maximized your word document on a mac) and often times their library doesn’t sync reliably.

I have used paperpile as my main citation manager for a couple of years and I would love to move my entire team to paperpile provided a solid word plugin. I can’t be the only one in this context.

TLDR If you guys release a solid word plugin it would be a game changer and address an unmet market need- please don’t forget about the word plugin.

Keep up the good work

heuristicmed

3 Likes

Never looked so excited about Autumn! The leaves are nice too, but do you know what would be cool? Word + Paperpile :heart_eyes: Looking forward to it, bring it on guys!

4 Likes

Any news guys?

Thanks.