What are citation keys and how can they be used?

Good day – I read the above; here’s what I did but it’s not working. Maybe I misunderstood. Working in Ulysses I copied citation keys (e.g., "Skinner1945-qt, Skinner1988-ka, Dvorsky2014-en, Sherman2010-bn) into a document. Then I opened the document in MS Word. I get the message that no Paperpile references could be found.

This workflow is something we wish to implement, but not yet a feature we offer. As stated by Stefan above…

…and by Jason in an earlier thread

… this is still very much a goal we’re moving towards.

Why would one choose a nondeterministic algorithm for something as vital as citation keys?

When changing from Mendeley to Paperpile I now must edit each citation Key to fit the nondeterministic Algorithm (in an existing document).
It would be nice if one could choose the format per bibtex automatic export file.

Or if it were simply deterministic, e.g. Mendeley uses authorYYYYtitle.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @DanielHabenicht. We understand this is inconvenient for many, and so the ability to customize BibTeX keys is a feature that we plan to implement in the future. I’ve added your +1 to our internal feature tracker.

2 Likes

Please, Please, Please! Implement this feature. This is the only barrier to actually using paperpile for research.

You can get some inspiration from other apps (BibDesk is what I use before and it deals with citekye pretty well). I use authorYYYY as default and append a, b, c … to duplicate items.

1 Like

Strong +1. Would be extremely good to be able to have something deterministic, and ideally configurable. When I see “authorYYYYtitle” I remember what the paper is. “authorYYYY-random letters” always makes me go “huh?”