Where is Chicago *numbered* format?

I see styles for author-date and full-note, but what about just the (‘ordinary’) numbered format? Searching through Paperpile styles, I can’t find it. I just want a number in my text, not the full note in the middle of my text, not author & date. (I would expect lots of other people would want to use this; strange that only the author-date and note variants are available.)

e.g., from https://www.york.ac.uk/media/studenthome/academicintegrity/booklets2016updates/UoY%20Chicago%20Style%20Guide%202017.pdf:
What is the Chicago Style?
The Chicago style originates from the University of Chicago and is a standard for acknowledging source materials and producing publications. It is used internationally in humanities subjects and provides the scope to cite a wide range of source materials. Chicago is a standard – a set format – for citing sources using footnotes. When a source is used, a superscript number is given after it to a footnote containing publication details. A bibliography/ reference list of full publication details is then given at the end, with sources listed in alphabetical order by author’s last name. The first line of the footnote should be indented, whereas the second and subsequent lines of the reference should be indented.

PS- Every time I try to use the Style Editor and then press “Save”, it says “This style already has a name, are you sure you want to Save it?” regardless of my changing the ID, and then finally when I barrel through that, the Download link does nothing.

1 Like

Perhaps the “note” format is simply broken? The linked style guide for…

"Chicago Manual of Style 16th edition (note) Chicago format with short notes and bibliography
chicago-note-bibliography-16th-edition.csl | Style Guidelines" (http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide.html)

…says that it will provide a number…

Each note corresponds to a raised (superscript) number in the text"

…but what actually happens, both in the preview and in my Google Docs Document, is that the full note goes inline with the text, and then the bibliography has no numbers; it looks like this:

Text citations
Koonin and Wolf, “Evolutionary Systems Biology: Links between Gene Evolution and Function”; Hasan et al., “Layer by Layer 3D Tissue Epitaxy by Cell Laden Hydrogel Droplets”; Morris, “RNA-Mediated Transcriptional Gene Silencing in Human Cells.”

Bibliography
Hasan, S. K., Sangjun Moon, Y. S. Song, H. O. Keles, F. Manzur, S. Mikkilineni, Jong Wook Hong, et al. “Layer by Layer 3D Tissue Epitaxy by Cell Laden Hydrogel Droplets.” In Bioengineering Conference, 2009 IEEE 35th Annual Northeast, 1–2. Boston, MA: IEEE, 2009. doi:10.1109/NEBC.2009.4967708.
Koonin, Eugene V., and Yuri I. Wolf. “Evolutionary Systems Biology: Links between Gene Evolution and Function.” Current Opinion in Biotechnology 17, no. 5 (October 2006): 481–87. doi:10.1016/j.copbio.2006.08.003.
Morris, Kevin V. “RNA-Mediated Transcriptional Gene Silencing in Human Cells.” In RNA Interference, edited by Patrick J. Paddison and Peter K. Vogt, 211–24. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2008. doi:10.1007/978-3-540-75157-1_10.

There are two types of “numbered” styles - ones which include the citation info in a footnote and ones which only include the citation info in a numbered bibliography at the end of the document (i.e. Nature, PLoS, etc.).

For the former, please insert the footnote manually, and then add the citation once the cursor is in the footnote.

W.r.t. the styles not downloading, I get the same result and have submitted feedback about it. In the meantime, here is the workaround: open notepad / or another text editor, then co to the “Code” tab on the citation style editor, copy the code there into the text file, and save it as a file with the “.csl” extension.

Hello,
Just checking: did this get fixed? The first workaround “please insert the footnote manually, and then add the citation once the cursor is in the footnote.” is not compatible with the NIH formatting which requires all references at the end (I guess I could copy/paste the footnote of all the pages, but that’s a lot of manual work)