"Always include DOIs and URLs." option is ignored

I have it checked, and I do have URLs and DOIs for the items in my bibliography, but they are not displayed in the references list. This appears to be a bug.

Observed for “European Journal of Radiology” citation style.

Paperpile only shows DOIs if the CSL file contains DOIs. Paperpile’s option does not override styles (there is no way to do that in a consistent way that is correct for all styles).

Please make sure that the style has DOIs implemented, if not you can add it to the CSL file using the CSL file editor http://editor.citationstyles.org/

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying this Stefan. I apparently was confused by the text associated with the checkbox.

Agreed, it is confusing but the whole situation with DOIs and CSL is confusing and it’s not easy to come up with simple terms to describe it. Here is our attempt from our help pages at Paperpile Help Center | Paperpile Help Center

For most reference types Paperpile lets the citation style control how to display DOIs and URLs.

However, for print articles Paperpile does not show DOIs or URLs by default. More precisely, citations of types “Journal article” and “News article” with the field “pages” set will not include DOIs or URLs.

To override this behavior, activate the option “Always include DOI and URLs”. This option will show DOIs as specified by the citation style. Note, that some citation styles don’t support DOIs and this option (despite its name) cannot change that. You may need to adapt the behaviour of the citation style by editing the CSL file (see above).

You can store multiple URLs in the field “URLs”. Paperpile will always use the first in citations.

The Option in the current Word plugin is called “Always include DOIs or URLs.” (not “and”).
So I thought it would show the DOI/URL depending on the presence of the variable in the reference.

But it will include both and when I delete the URL field in the reference PP will just generate a dx.doi.org link and insert it as the URL.

Is this behavior intended?

Thanks for noticing this, @Daniel. The option should say “Always include DOIs and URLs” (not “or”). I brought your feedback to the team’s attention and they added this correction to their queue of things to address over a next update.

As Stefan explains above, the behavior depends entirely on the style code / guidelines, so it is usually intended. If you don’t find that it is, please feel free to let me know what style you’re using and perhaps share some example references so we can try reproducing on our end.

1 Like

I have hotfixed it in my custom CSL by putting in an additional rule which checks the presence of the DOI or URL variable and only executes the underlying macro if the value is present.
Normally the variables of macros just don’t display if the field is empty, but as I reported in the current setting the Word plugin will generate the URL if a DOI is present but no URL is set.
My university doesn’t want us to show URLs if a DOI or ISNB is available.

1 Like