[bug] Highlighting doesn't highlight what I select

this is a bug that unfortunately has persisted for years within paperpile, and will likely not be fixed! When ive emailed them about it support always seems surprised, though I imagine that a lot of people contact them with this issue.

ha i noticed Ive already replied on this thread. Its just so frustrating to me!

Thank you for bumping this thread @Alison_Hall. I’ve brought this issue again to the team’s attention but we are still having trouble reproducing on our end. We’d like to fix it but we won’t be able to if we can’t identify the cause. If anybody on this thread would like to share additional information, please do so here or contact us via the in-app chat or email support@paperpile.com.

Hi @Alison_Hall , @ankoman @Sota_Hirokawa !
We are currently trying to reproduce the issue and get to the bottom of it. It would be much appreciated if we would get some additional info from you:

• For start it would be nice to have informations about the affected device’s pixel ratio and resolution. You can easily get this info by visiting this link https://www.mydevice.io/
  • The affected PDFs, are they uploaded on Windows, MacOS, or using our mobile app?
  • What zoom levels are you using (the meta PDF zoom using the zoom buttons, and the Chrome zoom level)?

Thank you for your understanding, and looking forward to your replies.

Hi sasa, thanks for working on this problem.
Here is the info of my environment:

1. Device’s pixel ratio is 1440 x 900 px, and resolution is 192.00 dpi
  2. I uploaded my PDFs from MacOS, using chrome extension
  3. On every zoom level, the highlight position shift 1 row

Also, I’ve found that the highlight works well while I search words using “command+F”.

1 Like

@suzanne Here’s another example of said bug.

From this screenshot, we can see that the selected text on the left doesn’t match the highlighted section

Using preview from Google Drive, I can select and highlight the intended selected text. I couldn’t remove what paperpile highlighted, see the text with darker color.

Here’s the link to the used pdf. Paperpile

The text is on the 2nd page, towards the bottom.

Thank you for the screenshots, @Emrick, but I can’t access the PDF from the link you shared. Can you share information about your device that @sasa requested with us?

@suzanne Try this link for the PDF. Or you can search “Shannon sampling II: Connections to learning theory” on Google Scholar. It should be the same PDF.

For the screen metric, here’s a screenshot:

The PDF is uploaded on Windows, by clicking the paperpile button on Google Scholar.
The browser zoom level is 100%, the issue persists, to different zoom levels in paperpile.

1 Like