New PDF Annotator Public Beta 🖍

So far so good with the new annotator! A minor request - it would be great for URLs in comments to be made automatically clickable (e.g. open in new tab). On a related issue, there seem to be some line-wrap problems in the display of comments - see the screenshot:

Selection_001

Thanks, Mark

2 Likes

Oh and another minor niggle on inserting comments - I would expect that if I highlight some text and click “Add comment” that the default insert position is somewhere close to the highlight (start/end?) rather than at the centre of the view (?).

2 Likes

Thank you for sending that. It should be possible to add links and fix the line wrapping. W.r.t. the highlight that is bug; the intended behavior is that the selected area gets highlighted and a comment panel is opened for it. However, this does not seem to happen whenever opening the comments panel results in the page getting resized. We will get this fixed.

Great, thanks! I should (!) be reading a bunch of papers in the next few days, so will ping back if I have any more questions or comments

Dear Paperpile team. Thanks for a great PDF annotator update!

Here is one feature that I think will be useful for many of us:
When I am reading a paper using Paperpile’s PDF viewer, I often click on the references. A “back” button that would allow me then to jump back to the page where I was reading would be great!

Thanks alot,
Alex

PS: Could you please invite me to the private Paperpile Android beta?

Thanks for the suggestion. We have in fact already built this in a hidden way: the browsers’ back keyboard shortcut should work for bringing you back to where you were in the paper.

2 Likes

@jirka any plans to make it available outside of Paperpile? Can you add this to the feature request list?

I use PDF annotator while reviewing papers, and for obvious reasons I do not want to add those to Paperpile. The annotator is very nice, and it would be great to use it outside of Paperpile (as was the case with the previous generation MetaPDF).

This is planned, although we are a bit preoccupied with the getting out the Word beta at the moment.

The new beta PDF viewer is working fine, but it’s missing the MetaPDF features of viewing/exporting highlights. If gives a little message saying “we’re currently working on this feature.” which I assumed would happen soon, but it’s been missing for months. Since there isn’t the option of reverting to the older MetaPDF in Paperpile, it’s a loss of a essential feature for me – so much so that I occasionally just go into Google Drive and open the PDF in MetaPDF from there so I can export highlights.

PS - I might not need to export highlights if there was a way to work with highlights (search/tag) from within the main Paperpile interface :wink:.

3 Likes

In addition to “page width” I’d love to have a “text width” option. When the sidebars are open on my laptop the page margins take up too much space, making the text small, but if you were to judge the width of the text itself it could go much wider

1 Like

That’s an interesting idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

1. #bug #prio:2: If I click Ctrl+C to copy the current selection, then the selection gets unselected and instead everything after it becomes selected, ergo the rest of the document. This is an annoyance in my workflow when I copy and highlight important passages, since I have to un/seleceted multipe times. Certainly this behavior is not expected.

Request: could the export annotation window have a “copy to clipboard” button as well as a “download” button? (Dynalist has this.) Thanks!

When using the PDF annotator, closing my computer, and coming back again later it often says “offline” and many features are disabled. There is no way to click the “offline” indicator to force it to attempt to reconnect. The only thing I can do is refresh the browser, which causes me to loose my place and my settings (zoom, etc.). Please improve the ability to reconnect after going offline. Thanks!

Same here, this is also kinda similar to this problem with the Gdocs add-on I recently reported: Reloading Gdocs-page after standby?

Also this is sadly one of the biggest downsides of Paperpile, basically its Achilles’ heel.
I also often travel by train and there I’ll have a unreliable connection.
So the reader will switch to offline mode at some point, disabling the annotation features.
And to resume as stated you have to reload the page and it will not have saved the state obviously.

Can’t you just wrap the app in Electron or something, one of your competitors seems to have done just this with their recently released desktop app for offline functionality :wink:

One major difference between exporting annotations in PDF Expert vs. PaperPile PDF Annotator Public Beta is paragraph wrapping. PP seems to add line breaks at the end of many lines, forcing me to run regex scripts to reflow the paragraphs, while I don’t have this problem in PDF Expert.

A note about OPML export. For me it is not really ideal to have notes grouped by page. The main advantage of having notes in OPML format is being able to organize them in an outliner according to the structure of the paper. Having them already organized as child elements of the page they were on makes that much harder. Ideally for me would be to have the page element and paper title saved as a “note” in each item, so that they move around with the item as I organize my outline.

I’ve made a sample outline with each of the different ways of organizing annotations illustrated:

https://dynalist.io/d/q7Mfepij3KnAPFt6BjvCLHQT

1 Like

We are looking into the issues. The _note field does not seem to be a standard OPML field, but it seems to be a good solution.

1 Like

Copying this here from another thread as I’ve realised this is the more appropriate place for feature requests:

It would be really useful to be able to customise what information is exported when you print/export PDF annotations. Specifically, for me, the ability to get rid of the annotation author, date and time would be useful as it is superfluous when I am simply annotating a PDF by myself rather than collaborating.

Also the ability to export into a .doc file (or a google doc) would be appreciated - the text export is useful but this does not include screengrabs in it. My workflow involves collating my notes on a series of PDFs into one word document to review, and I am finding it difficult to make this work smoothly with Paperpile despite being quite impressed with the product overall.

3 Likes

I also realized that this is maybe the best forum to talk about feature requests for the pdf annotator. I really would like to have a feature in the reader similar to what has been recently implemented in the elsevier reader

Basically, when I click on the references in the main text, I would like to have a small pop-up or window which shows me the details about this publication, similar to the what I described in the feature request above. Would be awesome if this would be possible.

2 Likes