Add support for offline mode

I’m sorry about this. We try hard and actually are proud of our uptime. Until today we had 5 minutes downtime in the past 6 months. That’s 99.9% uptime and with what we learnt from today we hope to get closer to 99.999%

We also making good progress on the iOS and Android apps and the Word plugin. All those new products will be offline by default.

4 Likes

Hi Stefan,

It’s nice to know that iOS/Android apps and Word plug-in are all on their way with offline mode by default. Cannot wait to try them. Thanks a lot! :smile:

While trying it I loved how Paperpile handles reference managing, data retrieval and citation, truly unbeatable - but no offline access puts me off the potential client list (even though I WANT to be one).

No editing/writing manuscripts while “off road” or on trains/planes? Your internet connection is down when you are approaching a deadline (yeah, we do write a LOT last minute)? With these risks I simply can’t be a client and I suspect a lot of other also can’t.

3 Likes

+1 for annotating pdfs in our libraries in offline mode.

1 Like

Since Paperpile pdfs are stored in Google Drive folders, it’s easy enough to designate some of them for offline reading and annotation. It does take two steps, I think: star them in Paperpile, then go to the folder “Paperpile -> Starred” in Google Drive and designate the ones you want for offline mode. If you set up Google Drive for offline syncing, it will keep your recent documents on the drive; otherwise you have to plan ahead to choose which ones you want to work on offline.

+1 bumping this.

1 Like

I only need the functionality to browse/search the library when offline + get bibtex records/citations (working with latex). But this would be quite crucial.

+1 I agree that this would be an excellent addition for the google docs add-on

+1
definitely having an offline work modality would be a big plus.

+1 - being able to use Paperpile to search existing citations, read and annotate PDFs, and cite within Google Docs would be great.

1 Like

+1 - Please add offline mode. In particular, annotating previously imported pdfs offline. I do a lot of reading while commuting offline in a train.

2 Likes

Agreed with all the above. As far as I can tell, this is the only substantive feature Paperpile is missing. For field researchers who often lose internet access even while in the office or who work on trains and planes, this is an essential feature, in particular because google docs has offline mode. Need need need this - no other feature matters more.

1 Like

You can expect good news on this front :pray:t4: rewrites of our web app and extension have been prioritized for the last few months and should see the light of day soon, so stay tuned!

2 Likes

Any update on this?

Welcome to our forum, @ahmad! No concrete updates to share yet; the rewrites I mentioned above are still our top (and daily) priority but have been prone to significant delays. Rest assured we’ll share the news on every channel when the time comes – for this and other features on our roadmap.

It’s great to see that offline mode is on the roadmap and is in fact being worked on according to the roadmap. It’s been over a year now, would be good to know how this is going along.

This morning (Japan time), I could not access my Paperpile library despite a working internet connection. I was getting 503 errors. Fortunately it resolved itself just now, but this was certainly extremely disruptive. Internet connections and servers occasionally have down times, but being able to still work with your library (including updating metadata, adding, removing papers, annotating papers, citing papers) while these rare events happen is so important.

1 Like

@kurisu We apologize for the inconvenience caused during the server downtime earlier today - the team has resolved the issue.

We agree that being able to continue working with your library offline is important. The team has been working on offline support, but I don’t have an exact timeline to share for it yet.

1 Like

Hi suzanne
Any updates on the offline App ??

@AMJ10110 Welcome to the forum! Offline support is still planned, but the team is currently prioritizing work on the new app and extension, available in beta.

1 Like

Hi Suzanne. Thank you for the update. I’m enjoying the beta app and extension but do you have an ETA for offline support?
Thanks!