Android app crashes when opening pdfs

Hello,

I’ve installed the android app (1.3.2) from store and syncs fine, but when trying to open a pdf, it crashes.
Repeating a clean install, sometimes it works when opening the app the first 1-2 times, but then crashes and never works again. Other times crashes even from the first try when opening a pdf.

I did a lot of tries with settings (notifications on/off, full screen, permissions…), and even an install on a clean device, but no one helped

The page with the pdf file is seen just for moment and then the app crashes. Error is always the same:

java.lang.RuntimeException: android.os.TransactionTooLargeException: data parcel size 1227592 bytes at android.app.servertransaction.PendingTransactionActions$StopInfo.run(PendingTransactionActions.java:161) at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:883) at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:100) at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:224) at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:7562) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method) at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:539) at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:950) Caused by: android.os.TransactionTooLargeException: data parcel size 1227592 bytes at android.os.BinderProxy.transactNative(Native Method) at android.os.BinderProxy.transact(BinderProxy.java:511) at android.app.IActivityTaskManager$Stub$Proxy.activityStopped(IActivityTaskManager.java:4646) at android.app.servertransaction.PendingTransactionActions$StopInfo.run(PendingTransactionActions.java:145) ... 7 more

Does anyone has any idea?

@BrunoO Thanks for sharing this issue with us and welcome to the forum. Does this error occur during the opening of the PDF, or does it occur when the PDF is being downloaded? And is the issue specific to a single PDF or is it occurring for all PDFs?

1 Like

@suzanne It occurs just after opening the pdf. File seems to be downloaded fine (at least it appears as downloaded), but when taping to open it, it just appears for less than a second and then the app closes with that log appearing for report.
It occurs with all pdfs.
After a clean install, there are times when you can view a first pdf, then the app crashes. From that moment you are not able to open more pdfs without crashing.

@BrunoO I have shared this with the team. To help us look into the issue, can you try to use the app without an account (Sign out and when starting the app tap “Use without an account”) and then try to open a PDF from there. If you can open PDFs after doing that, then it may be a PDF in your library that is causing the problem.

Hello,

I am getting the same error as BrunoO in one of my android devices, and it takes a lot of time to load the main app as well.

I am new to paperpile and still deciding whether to migrate from Zotero or not. I really like what I am seeing so far, but the Android app is a must for me.

I think there is a “big” update coming in soon, could you tell us if that update will also cover the Android app?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum @Neurergus! I’m sorry that you are having this problem; I have reported it to the team. Have you tried using the app without an account and opening a PDF from there to see if it still occurs?

We’re happy you like Paperpile. The next update will not cover mobile apps, only the web app. After the release of that, attention will return to the mobile apps.