Automatically add/remove Ibid

It would be very helpful if Paperpile could automatically insert ibid for repetition of the same citation. I would imagine it like this:

1. I cite (Sverdlik et al, 2020) in text or even in a footnote
  2. I write another paragraph and again cite (Sverdlik et al, 2020)
  3. When I click “Format citations” in the Paperpile menu, the second instance is automatically changed to “Ibid”. When I hover over ibid though it displays “(Sverdlik et al, 2020)” so I know what the underlying reference is.
  4. During revisions, I add a new paragraph between these two paragraphs and cite (Dodman 2021)
  5. When I “Format citations”, it automatically turns “Ibid” into “(Sverdlik et al, 2020)”.

@Brock_Hicks to my understanding, the use of ibid only applies to consecutive citations – otherwise it wouldn’t be clear to the reader which repeated citation the term is referring to. Could you check the guidelines of the style you’re using?

@vicente Yes, Ibid is for consecutive citations - that is exactly the scenario I laid out in my comment. Please reread more carefully.

@Brock_Hicks apologies if I’m being thick, but to my understanding, adding the extra paragraph and citation you describe in step 4 would mean the (Sverdlik et al, 2020) citations are no longer consecutive. If ibid were preserved, the reader would understand it is referring to (Dodman, 2021) instead. Does this not make sense?

@vicente Perhaps part of the confusion is that I said “repetition” in my original post when what I meant was “consecutive” citations. These are the scenarios I am talking about:

ADD IBID
When I “format citations” in this case, I want it to automatically change the second instance of (Sverdlik et al, 2020) to (ibid)

This is paragraph one blah blah blah. Blah blah blah (Sverdlik et al, 2020).

This is paragraph two blah blah blah. Blah blah blah (Sverdlik et al, 2020).

REMOVE IBID
When I “format citations” in this case, I want it to automatically change (ibid) to (Sverdlik et al, 2020)

This is paragraph one blah blah blah. Blah blah blah (Sverdlik et al, 2020).

This is a new paragraph and citation I added later on… blah blah blah (Dodman 2021).

This is paragraph two blah blah blah. Blah blah blah (ibid).

Thanks for the clarification, @Brock_Hicks – seems like I was indeed being thick! I now understand what you mean and have added your feedback to our tracker for the team to consider over future updates. Currently, the inclusion of ibid is determined in the citation style code, which we fetch from online repository CSL. Just one more question – I thought that its use was normally limited to footnotes/endnotes, is this not the case in the style you’re using?