Automatically change journal abbreviations

Hi all,

I switch between American and British journals with my submissions, and there are different rules for abbreviating journal names (e.g. “Weather” is Wea. or Weather, depending). Right now, I have to go through manually and edit the abbreviations for use with LaTeX (I presume the same when I use Google Docs). Would there be a way to create a set of rules, and when we export a .bib file, choose which set of abbreviations we’d like?

1 Like

Agreed… in some disciplines, it is considered just lazy to use abbreviations for journal titles

We are using standardized journal abbreviations and offer two fields for the full journal name and the abbreviated name. The scenario of multiple different abbreviations is currently not handled.

To be honest, I never heard that there are journal specific journal abbreviations. I don’t think there is any way to handle that without adding quite some complexity to our UI and data model. I’m afraid we won’t be able to do that.

Stefan - When I export a bibtex citation from Paperpile (using the “Cite” menu item) is there a wy to ensure that it uses the Full Journal Name rather than the (abbreviated) Journal Name field?

Thanks
Hemant

Hi Stefan. Can you please let me know how to present the full name of the journal rather than the abbreviation? Thank you.

Welcome to the forum, @Dr_Batson! To export a BibTeX citation with the full journal name instead of the abbreviated journal name, go to the right-hand corner of the web app, select Settings, choose BibTeX, and you can specify that the BibTeX journal field output uses the full journal field in Paperpile, rather than the journal field (which contains the abbreviated journal names).

If you are creating a non-BibTeX citation, for example in Word or Google Docs, whether the abbreviated title or the full title is used depends on the citation style, and how the citation style uses the metadata field for each type of reference (some styles use the journal field, whereas others use the full journal field). In that case, you will need to know how the rules of the citation style you are using, and make some manual adjustments if necessary, which can be done by editing the reference in Paperpile (select the reference in the web app, and open the Edit dialog).