Bibliography is not ordered according to appearance in text, but by some other strange logic

Hello,
I am having a problem getting my bibliography to format correctly using the Nature.csl format. The citations should appear in the bibliography in order of their appearance in the text. However, in my case they are appearing in the order in which they were added to the document or to my library. The result is a paragraph that looks like

First sentence in paragraph^1. Second sentence in paragraph^2. Third sentence in paragraph^120.

This seems like a bug, but I can’t figure it out. I’m using the Word plugin on a Mac if it’s helfpul

Welcome to our forum, Matt,and apologies for the delayed reply. Have you continued experiencing this issue? If so, it would be great if you could share a document where you reproduce the behavior so we can take a look and troubleshoot accordingly. Can be here or via chat/email (support@paperpile.com).

Hi Vicente,
Unfortunately, it’s in the context of a proposal that I’m not able to share at this point. I think it has something to do with track changes altering the field codes, but I can’t figure it out.

Matt - track changes have indeed been a known source of disruption in the past, although we’ve mostly managed to rectify their behavior over the last few updates of the plugin.

Rather than sharing the whole document, you can make a copy and delete most of the text but leave some citations - just having a few of those previously inserted references to look at could provide important clues for the team. The plugin log file might also be helpful here - the easiest way to find the log is through the Paperpile tab on Word > Settings & Tools > Preferences > Send Log File, then attach the paperpile-logs.txt file to your message. The logs contain private user information, so it would be best to share them via chat or email (support@paperpile.com). Let me know.