Capitalizing issues for paper title and journal name

I noticed in some cases, paperpile saves paper title in the wrong alphabet case. For example, if a paper title is “Why is remote sensing of Amazon forest greenness so challenging?”, then it gets saved as: “Why is Remote Sensing of Amazon forest Greenness so Challenging”. Also, if a full journal title is: Nature Geoscience, then it saves as Nature geoscience.

It may be okay to save the journal name / paper title like that, but the problem is when you format the cited references it does not format the references correctly. For example, sometimes paperpile generate a reference list like this:

Samata, A, 2ndAuthor, 3rdAuthor, and 4thAuthor. Why is Remote Sensing of Amazon forest Greenness so Challenging? Earth interactions:16 1-14.

When it really should be:

Samata, A, 2ndAuthor, 3rdAuthor, and 4thAuthor. Why is remote sensing of Amazon forest greenness so challenging? Earth Interactions:16 1-14.

This is a very annoying issue because then you have to manually fix all the paper titles to sentence case then first-letter capitalize all the journal name one by one. I don’t understand why paperpile can’t get it right. It seems to be such a simple functionality to implement (just first letter capitalize all the journal title, then sentence case all the paper titles).

This issue has been discussed before, in this thread: Transformation of title case

I agree that either changing all article titles to sentence case on import or adding a “change case” button would be very helpful.

1 Like