Change multiple fields bug

I wanted to flag that the new option allowing editing the same field across multiple documents at the same time does not seem to be working. I tried changing the Journal (full title) field from several articles, and the interface does not show them changed once I save.
Once I refreshed, I could see it with the new name, but the date of publication was now empty (and was indicating an incomplete citation), and once I did it a third time, it had reverted back to the original name (and fixed back the date of publication).

Same thing with the (abbreviated) Journal field.

Edit: Actually, the editing of journals on the Beta seems broken in general. Even if done one at a time.

Edit 2: Actually, actually, if I turn off the beta version, I can see the changes. Thus, the bug does not seem to be in the action changing the field Journal, but on how the beta updates the information on the interface based on the backend.

@Jonathan_Moreno Thank you for your report. The team could not reproduce the issue with the steps that you mentioned. If it is not too much trouble, could you share a video with us, and/or the publications you tried to edit? You can share them here, contact us via chat, or email

I’ve encountered a similar issue.

I have about 1000 records that were incorrectly imported as “Miscellaneous”. When I select them all and update their type to “Book” via edit, two strange things happen:

  1. The records are temporarily updated to Book. However, at some future point, they will revert back to Miscellaneous (with no strict pattern as to when that occurs).
  2. If one leaves the Beta version and goes to Old Paperpile - all of the records are reflected as Miscellaneous despite their status being reflected as “Book” in the Beta version.

On a side note, I experience frequent crashes when editing multiple records - whether it be 2 records, 20 records, or 1000. This feature has probably been one of the most valuable when it works, but one of the most likely to crash the app.



1 Like

@ajn Thank you for your report on experiencing bulk editing issues. I have shared it with the team and they have made a bug for it. It will be fixed in a future release.