Citation tracking w. paperpile

Hi everyone.
I am new to paperpile. Excellent app. For now I have been performing searches and organizing my best results in folders and labels.
For what I know, when doing searches directly in databases web sites such as WoS or Scopus, each result comes along with a reference list and also citing papers, which is a great way to expand and complete the search with backwards and forwards cites. I haven’t been able to find a similar feature in paperpile since, as far as I’ve seen, searches only show titles and abstracts for each result (maybe I am missing something) .So I wanted to ask you how you do citation tracking with paperpile or in case there isn’t a way then how you approach citation tracking when combining paperpile features with the databases websites. Perhaps you know of a great method for doing citation tracking that doesn’t involve any of the aforementioned.
Thank you very much

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @venrich, and thanks for your kind words. Forward and backward citation analysis isn’t currently possible, nor is it planned, but I’ve added your feedback to our internal tracker for the team’s consideration in the future.

Thanks.
The main problem I am facing (and I guess many other researchers too) is to be able to filter which papers to read and which not during search. Normally (not always) those papers with more citations are the ones to take into consideration for reading. I have seen that the “Cited by” button helps in knowing how many citations a certain paper has, but this important info shows up only once the paper has been added, not in the search window. On the other hand, the “Cited by” button works for some papers and not for others, meaning that I have to go check citations ranks for every added paper in the databases’ websites such as WoS. This back and forth between paperpile and WoS is also tedious. The ideal situation for me would be to never have to leave the Paperpile environment when performing search.
In resume, let me suggest then to be able to find cites and references already in the search window, for a better selection of what to read and what not before adding it.
Thanks for all. Keep up.

1 Like