I am relatively new to Paperfile, as I just joined an organisation that mandates it. I am currently running a team of researchers that requires us to have a shared reference list. We can achieve this with shared folders. However we would like the ability to collaborate through the use of annotations. From what I can tell this is currently not available in Paperfile, as the links are shared as view-only. This is also true for the notes. Can someone please confirm this for me? I believe this is on the features list, is there a timeline for it?
I currently have a work around if anyone else has the same problem. Also if someone has a better workaround I would love to hear it.
- Set the default viewer to google drive (settings->browser intergration->PDF viewer->Google Drive)
- Click on the PDF you added to the share folder.
- Click on the Share link within the viewer
- Add your team, with can edit permissions (you can save an email list in google that makes this quite easy)
- Click on the open with buttton above the pdf, and select MetaPDF (makesure you have the MetaPDF extension installed prior)
- Make annotations
Now when a team member opens this PDF within paperfile (using Google Drive), they then need to select open with MetaPDF and they can now make annotations too.
When a team member adds a PDF to the shared folder they need to also follow steps 2-4.
This is the fastest way I found without giving your team automatic permissions to all your Paperfile PDFs through folder permissions in google drive.
Again if anyone has a better way please let me know.