Feature suggestion: Export link for bibtex

Hi,

I usually write my papers in LaTeX, and if I add new citations I have to login to paperpile and download the corresponding bibtex-file for the citations. What I would like is if for each of the paperpile folders there was an associated export url, so that I could download my latest bibtex-file via the command line.

Maybe that’s a very specific request, but maybe some other people would like it as well?

Anyway, thanks for everything. I love your product!

2 Likes

I like this a lot. There are quite a few other suggestions in the forum for improved BibTex export. We keep a close eye on those.

@stefan I have recently given up on Paperpile and switched to Mendeley for precisely this reason. This is disappointing because I find Paperpile to be superior in just about every other way, but not having an easy way to sync up my local Bibtex file is a dealbreaker. I know it’s just a few clicks in the UI (and then a few more in downloading/copying to the right place), but having to do this over and over as I’m adding new citations for a document I’m working on is very tedious and just invalidates all the other ways Paperpile would otherwise be more convenient.

I’ll gladly switch back as soon as this feature is implemented, but given that users have been requesting this or similar solutions for years (Google Drive sync, Feb 2015, speeding up export, Dec 2017, public API, Dec 2015) I’m not currently holding my breath.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know. I can understand the frustration. The good news is we are here to stay and if a feature makes sense (like this one), we are committed to add it to our product.

I’ve shared a few things about our roadmap here recently: Open request for a public roadmap

Well, I’ve come crawling back, because Mendeley just can’t come close to Paperpile’s ability to flawlessly import citations and PDFs from pretty much any webpage. For anyone who is interested I did come up with a (hacky, partial) solution to this. It’s a Tampermonkey script that inserts a one-click “Export to BibTeX” button at the top of the Paperpile page. Link is here, no guarantee it will keep working though.

1 Like