Handling Chinese names when initials are shown?

I put this under support rather than a feature request because maybe there is some way to handle this?

My journal uses this format for articles that are in Asian languages (sample provided by journal):

Hua Linfu 華林甫. “Qingdai yilai Sanxia diqu shuihan zaihai de chubu yanjiu” 清代以來三峽地區水旱災害的初步硏究 [“A Preliminary Study of Floods and Droughts in the Three Gorges Region since the Qing Dynasty”]. Zhongguo shehui kexue 中國社會科學 1 (1999): 168–79.

However, if I enter a name like this:

Hua, Linfu 華林甫

my in-text citation ends up looking like this:

(L. 華林甫 Hua 1999)

As far as I can tell this is because Chicago uses initials when more than one author share the same surname. So, since that happens a lot with Chinese authors, I end up getting “L. Hua” instead of “Hua.” That’s OK, and I suppose one could alter that if the journal doesn’t want initials - but if that is correct, then how to suppress the Chinese name appearing in there along with the initials?

Suuuuper late reply, but it may still be relevant to some.

Put curly brackets around it. I noticed this in a Japanese source imported from Zotero.
So, with one of my sources, I just write {Hirano, Kouta 平野耕太} and it comes out just like that.

That’s a dirty hack and I would not recommend to use it. Paperpile author format is “Lastname, Firstname Secondname”. Names formatted in this way can be parsed by Paperpile and subsequently the citation processing engine CSL. “{}” is a marker for names that should be taken as the are like “{Genome Sequencing Consortium}”, and no parsing will be attempted.

If you have a name like “Smith, Alex James” then the citation style can e.g. automatically shorten the name to “Smith, AJ”, while when you have “{Smith, Alex James}” it will always stay that way.

But then how would you cite an Asian source?

I only use the curled brackets for my Japanese sources. If my citation is wrong in an academic paper, I risk failing.

@andreas I would be interested in learning in how to cite an Asian source that does not require this workaround. What is the best way to handle this?