Keep italics after Auto-Update?

What is the preferred way of using italics in reference titles? I had to do it and manually added <i>italic</i> to genes and species names.

However, this is fragile because the Auto-Update reverts to the original title, which usually has no italic tags. Could the auto-update function identify and preserve the italics already present in the title?

Using <i> tags is the correct way. You’re right, we should check if there is user markup in the title and don’t overwrite it when we auto-update. I’ve added to our internal bug tracker. Thanks!

Great!! Thanks!

hi Stefan, it sounds great if you can check for markup in the title; how general would this be? e.g. for ensuring that latex markup in titles is preserved (e.g. using {} around an abbreviation.

I’ve not looked into the code how it’s actually implemented at the moment. But I’d guess at the moment we compare the auto-updated title string to the current title string with markup and take the new one if they differ.

A better strategy would be to normalize each string (i.e. strip all markup), compare those strings and if we find that they still match, we just keep the old one.

Dear support team,
I just auto updated a bunch of references and lost all italicized species names in the process. Those names actually appears in italics in the metadata used for updating. Is this ticket still opened? Is it planned to be resolved?
Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, @Philippe_Deschamps, and thank you for reporting. Can you share an example reference with us so that we can reproduce the issue?

To fix the affected references, in the Edit metadata dialog, you can italicize words in reference titles by highlighting the words and clicking the I for italics: