List all references in a Word file

I exported a Google Doc as a Word file.

Now I need to see all of the references in the text. How can I highlight all of them with bright yellow? Or list them somehow?

Right now, they blend in with the rest of the text and I cannot distinguish normal text from Paperpile references.

I need to have a complete list of all the Paperpile references in this document.

I already tried to follow this answer:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/finding-hyperlinks-in-word-doc/80df8835-0528-40ea-b910-0147af9ee1a6

It doesn’t work for me. Pressing ALT + F9 does nothing. Searching for ^d hyperlink returns no results.

The best approach here is probably to unformat the citations prior to downloading the Word document. This will return them to their blue state where they are easier to spot. You can do this using our sidebar add-on for Google Docs.

May I ask why you need to see them in Word?

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I don’t think I can go back to Google Docs now that more work has been done in Word. I might try to upload the Word doc back to Google and see if Google Docs can make the links blue again… but I don’t expect this to work.

I decided I have to migrate this document from Google Docs to Word to work effectively with my coauthors. So, I had to manually go through and convert each Paperpile reference to Mendeley.

I think I converted all of them, but I can’t be sure without reading every sentence carefully again. Since it is very tedious and error prone to go through each reference, I was hoping there would be some way to make them more obvious so I can see if there are any references that I missed. This would help get the job done more quickly.

I tried to make Paperpile work for writing papers, but it falls short of my needs.

Now I’m trying Word, Mendeley, and Simuldocs. This seems like a more capable software stack for working with other Word users.

Thanks for the quick response! I appreciate your effort to help.

The unformatting command will still work on an uploaded document. The references which have not been replaced will in that case be properly unformatted. The Mendeley citations, however will not be readable for us - and we cannot guarantee that they will work after import and re-export…

If your colleagues require you to use Word then I am afraid that using Paperpile references can be difficult. Alternately, the sidebar mentioned above allows anyone to add references to a Google Doc - even those without a Paperpile account.

We built Paperpile for Google Docs because it is the best document editor for collaboration, and most modern research is fundamentally collaborative. In Docs, everyone is always working on the same document and there is built-in version history, so there is no need to use another tool just to keep track of the versions.