MetaPDF not displaying previous annotations

Hi

I’m new to both Paperpile (currently a long-time Zotero user) and metaPDF so apologies if I have missed something here…

I was hoping that metaPDF would use PDF annotation standards so that if I highlight / mark up / add a comment to a PDF file in, e.g. Adobe Acrobat or Xodo on Android, or PDF-Exchange in Windows, that metaPDF would recognise and show these. However, my first tests indicate that it does not. I have no problem moving between these other apps and I would need that cross-app support if I am to adopt Paperpile & metaPDF for my research workflow.

Thanks,
Richard

MetaPDF definitely does support PDF annotation standards. If you add an annotation with a program also following PDF ISO standards and then you open it in MetaPDF it should be there. If not, it’s a bug and we need to find out what’s going wrong in this particular case.

Hi Stefan - thanks for the fast response!

I’ve checked with a couple of other PDFs and they are behaving better. Can I get the particular file with which I am noticing the issue to you privately? It’s from JSTOR, subject to copyright restriction, so I don’t want to post a public link.

Thanks,
Richard

Sure, @andreas loves to debug PDFs under andreas@paperpile.com :wink: