I’m happy to announce that we have released a new version of our PDF viewer and annotator. This update is part of a larger series of updates including major infrastructure upgrades which will form the basis of our new Android and iOS apps and our Word plugin for Windows and MacOS.
We will release all these new features as beta versions first. These updates were long in making and as such we want to make sure everything is ironed out before we launch to all users. Although the beta features are generally stable, you will be among the first using them. So things can go wrong. If you are not comfortable using beta software, we recommend waiting for the public roll out of the new features.
Features included in this PDF Annotator Beta
- Completely rewritten PDF Annotator
- Annotation features:
- Add Comments (“Sticky notes”),
- Markup text with Highlights, Underline, Strikethrough,
- Draw shapes and highlight figures: Pen, Rectangle, Circle, Arrow
- Highlighted images are shown in the annotation list
- Support for annotations made by any standard compliant PDF editor
- Improved performance of PDF rendering and scrolling
- Faster and more network efficient syncing to Google Drive
- Custom colors
- and much more…
How to take part in this beta
In the Paperpile web app go to the gear in the upper right → Settings → Browser Integration. Then under “PDF Viewer” select “Viewer with annotations (beta)”. You will be asked to join our beta track before you can use the new PDF viewer with annotations.
Bug reports, feature requests and general feedback
- We welcome all kind of feedback in particular bug reports at this early stage.
- Please post your feedback in this forum (preferred) or contact us via the in app messenger or via email to email@example.com
- We read everything but as we are running multiple beta tests at the same time we might not be able to respond to all posts and emails immediately.
- Make sure you have the latest version of the extension and the webapp. In particular, if you see a warning "Offline" in the Beta Annotator follow these steps:
- Go to More Tools → Extensions in the Chrome menu, then switch the Paperpile extension off, then on again
- Reload your Paperpile tab.