Problems with editing citations

These might be two separate issues, or the same issue. I’m not clear.

1. I have a title that is in ALL CAPS which needs to be fixed (I wish this was automatic, but that’s another feature request) which I go back to edit in PaperPile. Then I update my bibliography, but it is still ALL CAPS.

2. I duplicate a citation in Paperpile to add another chapter in the same edited volume by a different author. The original author is SMITH, the new author is CURTIS. When I go to enter the citation in PaperPile it sees CURTIS in the extension, but the inserted citation still says SMITH. Clicking to show the citation in paperpile shows me the SMITH entry, not the CURTIS entry.

I am able to fix the first issue by reformatting the citations and/or just waiting for the changes to sync. (Not exactly sure what works, but eventually it works.) I can’t fix the second issue.

With 2 I tried deleting and re-creating the entry by copying the book entry rather than another chapter entry before editing, but the same problem happened. The only way to fix the problem was to copy as BibTeX and then delete and re-import from the BibTex.

1. The changes should take effect when you re-format your citations/bibliography. I’m not sure when exactly there is an issue. You say when “I update my bibliography” it’s still in all caps and reformatting fixes it. What do you mean with “update bibliography”?

2. We had a very similar bug before with citing duplicated references. I though it has been fixed but apparently not completely. I’ll try if I can reproduce and we will give it another look.

The changes should take effect when you re-format your citations/bibliography. I’m not sure when exactly there is an issue. You say when “I update my bibliography” it’s still in all caps and reformatting fixes it. What do you mean with “update bibliography”?

I click re-format and it is still in all caps. But after a while I try again and it works.

Can you reproduce this? It can’t think of any scenario where this could happen.

There is no “sync” step of any sort. The citation formatting step always gets the latest data from the database. So if you have edited and saved the title it will be updated the very next time you re-format the citations.

Strange. It happens to me a lot. Not sure how to document it…

Yes, that’s strange. I’m puzzled because we test this particular behaviour regularly as part of our core quality tests and also have never heard any complaints. I just tried and cannot reproduce. I’m trying that:

• I format the bibliography of a Google Doc with a paper titled “TitleA” and make sure it is shown as “TitleA” in the bibliography
  • I go to Paperpile, change the title to “TitleB”. I check that it’s shown with “TitleB” in the list meaning the changes have been saved.
  • I immediately go back to Google Docs and click “Paperpile > Format Citations”. I check the bibliography and the title is shown as “TitleB”

Sorry for the delay in replying - end of semester here. I’ve tried to recreate the issue with a test document and was unable to do so. I wonder if it only fails in large documents with lots of citations? In any case, here are the steps I followed to try to reproduce the error. (But there was no error this time.)

1. Identify citation that has issues which need to be fixed.

2. Insert in text and format bibliography.

3. Fix database entry.

4. Reformat citation and bibliography in document. This is where I was seeing an error before. After reformatting the bibliography still looked the same as in #2. That did not happen with this test document.

I am having a similar issues. If I try to manually add an electronic page number that wasn’t found in the reference by Paperpile and try to reformat the citation it still does not appear.
Furthermore, the doi keeps appearing as well when I try removing it from the database citation in Paperpile and specifically do not check the “Apply doi” box when reformatting the citations. I also made sure this citation was under “journal article”.

Please advise.

Raul, I’m guessing that this behavior is due to the rules of whatever citation style you are using. I.e., if you read the rules closely, you are likely to find the explanation / why it is doing what it is doing.