Roam Research and Paperpile?

Hi all,
Roam Research is rapidly becoming a popular knowledge management system. It would be great to be able to insert in-text Paperpile references, and I was curious about your recommendations for non-google docs online documents: use citation keys? LaTeX citations? The ideal solution for me would be to have a keyboard shortcut in Paperpile that creates a markdown link to the PDF viewer in the Paperpile extension…this would be helpful not only in Roam but also other markdown-based applications. Curious if anybody else thought about this workflow.
Thanks!
Giovanni

12 Likes

I have been working in a similar workflow with obsidian.md, and simply put the sharing link, but I would prefer a link to the pdf viewer mode…

3 Likes

My current method in Roam is to make a document named with the citation key, then to enter the full citation and link to Paperpile below that. Then I can easily link to that document using the citation key in any document, and those backlinks will show up at the bottom of the citation document.

4 Likes

yes, that seems the best solution currently. An intermediate solution would be to open the citation key in Paperpile (even via search), but as far as I can tell it is not possible to feed a search string to Paperpile via URL, correct?
Thanks!
Giovanni

Roam research has come up on our radar. Also Scrivener, Notion and Overleaf. Please stay tuned, we will have do a survey about Markdown and LaTeX workflows here soon.

13 Likes

Another Roam convert / believer here… It would be so good to have a consistently smooth way of getting annotations into Roam. I’ve almost downloaded Zotero because that seems to be only working solution so far. Somebody has just made a plugin for it which sounds promising according to people on the Slack Roam channel. I’ve not tried it yet but I am seriously tempted to… https://github.com/melat0nin/zotero-roam-export
I can’t help thinking there is a massive gap here just waiting for someone to fill it - and it would be great if it was you guys!

PS: Getting a Scrivener solution as well would be the proverbial icing on the cake

2 Likes

I would like to 1+ Scrivener support!

You should add Obsidan to that list. I’m still using Roam right now, but I’m hopeful about the future of Obsidian.

3 Likes

Agree with @Kerim re Obsidian. I just downloaded the app, and it seems to have a lot of potential, and the dev team is rock solid: The degree of polish in their other app - Dynalist outliner, which Obsidian borrows from, is… uncommon.

They’re like the paperpile team of knowledge management :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Scrivener please.

We are getting serious about those integrations now :smirk:. We have put together a small survey to better understand the use cases and workflows for those Markdown based products:

3 Likes

Any way to automate moving the full citation to the “citation key” page? Manually, it is time-consuming: ctrl-c or b in Paperpile, then paste in RR and cleanup.