Roam Research and Paperpile?

Hi all,
Roam Research is rapidly becoming a popular knowledge management system. It would be great to be able to insert in-text Paperpile references, and I was curious about your recommendations for non-google docs online documents: use citation keys? LaTeX citations? The ideal solution for me would be to have a keyboard shortcut in Paperpile that creates a markdown link to the PDF viewer in the Paperpile extensionā€¦this would be helpful not only in Roam but also other markdown-based applications. Curious if anybody else thought about this workflow.
Thanks!
Giovanni

16 Likes

I have been working in a similar workflow with obsidian.md, and simply put the sharing link, but I would prefer a link to the pdf viewer modeā€¦

4 Likes

My current method in Roam is to make a document named with the citation key, then to enter the full citation and link to Paperpile below that. Then I can easily link to that document using the citation key in any document, and those backlinks will show up at the bottom of the citation document.

5 Likes

yes, that seems the best solution currently. An intermediate solution would be to open the citation key in Paperpile (even via search), but as far as I can tell it is not possible to feed a search string to Paperpile via URL, correct?
Thanks!
Giovanni

Roam research has come up on our radar. Also Scrivener, Notion and Overleaf. Please stay tuned, we will have do a survey about Markdown and LaTeX workflows here soon.

15 Likes

Another Roam convert / believer hereā€¦ It would be so good to have a consistently smooth way of getting annotations into Roam. Iā€™ve almost downloaded Zotero because that seems to be only working solution so far. Somebody has just made a plugin for it which sounds promising according to people on the Slack Roam channel. Iā€™ve not tried it yet but I am seriously tempted toā€¦ https://github.com/melat0nin/zotero-roam-export
I canā€™t help thinking there is a massive gap here just waiting for someone to fill it - and it would be great if it was you guys!

PS: Getting a Scrivener solution as well would be the proverbial icing on the cake

5 Likes

I would like to 1+ Scrivener support!

1 Like

You should add Obsidan to that list. Iā€™m still using Roam right now, but Iā€™m hopeful about the future of Obsidian.

4 Likes

Agree with @Kerim re Obsidian. I just downloaded the app, and it seems to have a lot of potential, and the dev team is rock solid: The degree of polish in their other app - Dynalist outliner, which Obsidian borrows from, isā€¦ uncommon.

Theyā€™re like the paperpile team of knowledge management :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Scrivener please.

We are getting serious about those integrations now :smirk:. We have put together a small survey to better understand the use cases and workflows for those Markdown based products:

5 Likes

Any way to automate moving the full citation to the ā€œcitation keyā€ page? Manually, it is time-consuming: ctrl-c or b in Paperpile, then paste in RR and cleanup.

Stefan,

Any progress on this front? When can expect some good news?

3 Likes

+1 for Paperpile -> Roam :raised_hands:
readwise.io would be awesome too!

7 Likes

yassss please

2 Likes

Just adding another vote for Roam support from Paperpile: :heavy_check_mark:

(minimum) Grabbing Citation Key and HTML link - ready to paste into Roam in one shot
(preferred) Creation of a new Page in Roam with full support for Roam attributes (not just Page key)

But most of us want to get our MetaPDF annotations exported too
(minimum) spatial separation of Highlights from Comments in the Current export Summary
(preferred) Sync of Highlights and Comments to the appropriate (i.e. Citation Key) page in Roam

Oh, and while Iā€™m here:
Wouldnā€™t it be nice to have an option to auto-quote all highlights taken in metaPDF - to ensure that you donā€™t mix quotes with comments downstreamā€¦

I love using Paperpile. But I think it needs to respond to the emergence of this new generation of relational note taking apps soonā€¦ Otherwise, with their APIs etc. the case for a separate reference manager is going to be diminished rapidlyā€¦

All the best to all

Leo

4 Likes

Absolutely agree with this.

Dropping this other thread here, which is related.
Allowing highlights to be automatically fetched by Readwise would solve the Roam/Obsidian import issue at least for now.

3 Likes

Meanwhileā€¦ there is a workflow that allows me to get my highlights into obsidian.md. I have google back up and sync syncing all pdfs into a folder on my mac. After highlighting in paperpileā€™s pdf viewer, I command-space and type up the author name to open the pdf in https://highlightsapp.net/ which allows me to export the highlights into a markdown file that can be saved directly into obsidianā€™s vault/folder.

4 Likes

+1 Scrivener compatibility
+1 Notion compatibility
+1 Speechify compatibility (still no tool for visually impaired).

2 Likes